Help / Advice on motorised setup from ground

extraspark

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello all,

Been around my friends to help him setup his motorised system. He has decided to put it on a pole in the ground as did not want the dish attached to side of house.
He has put the pole in a got it plum.
Now we have put the motor and the dish on it and tried to find Thor. Any advice on how to find it. (is that dishpointer of any help it says 0.8w Thor and does not show 1 W Thor) As he bought a digital compass and on there Thor was in a different place to the dishpointer site when you line up the location etc.
What we have done so far. He has a TM5400 box and we have set it to Thor and BBC world. moved the satellite but found nothing. Even tried to put it on the signal strength on the screen but all we get is Signal strength 97% and quality 22%. Not sure how accurate this is. When I move the dish nothing seems to happen to any of it.
Any advice would be most welcome.
I am not sure of what angle the dish should be set at and the motor elevation. I have tried 22 on dish and 39 degrees elevation (I used the TM2600 book to calculate all this info from long and lat etc)
Thanks
PS
He has a TD88 dish a 0.1db LNB and a TM2600 motor if that is any help. When you turn to BBC World it just says Bad or No signal on the screen.

Last edited:
I set mine up exactly to dishpointer (a compass shows magnetic north/south not true south)

I set the elevation according to the manual (technomate2300) and the skew on the lnb is 0 when the motor is at 0

I got lucky as I get plenty on 28.8 and 19.2 and a few channels on 08 and 13 but need to redo the lot as I didn't plumb up the pole 100% :(

usals don't work for me (because my dish isn't plumb) but programming in the rotor positions gets me by until I set the thing up correctly.

Need to reposition it as I have a house in the way and i'm going to use k and t brackets so I can get the thing plumb.

Thanks for that.

So dish pointer is the thing to go by for an idea of where the satellite is.
I might put it a bit higher up just in case of any thing that is blocking the signal

Are you using USALS to setup the reciever ?

You will need to setup your longitude and latitude then try and tune the dish in.

You could try and tune in 28.2 (sky) that will be the strongest signal in the sky.

Once 28.2 is tuned tell the dish to goto thor from the reciver... then fine tune the dish signal by moving it slightly - sometimes even the slightest turn of the spanner can do it.

I always tune in sky first then goto thor and fine tune it because the signal from sky is so strong you do not need to worry about it being fine tuned especially if you have a dish bigger than 60cm.

Infact I had trouble with 16 east so I tuned sky told the box to goto 16 then fine tuned that one and I get most up there with a 88cm

Regards
Mickie

Regards
Mickie

Back