Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp somebody pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze...

The best thing to do to connect all your machines together is as follows:

1. Assign a common (same) workgroup name to all (e.g. digitalworld)
  2. Assign all workgroup machines an I.P. address (a lot of people recommend it to be dynamic IP address allocation, but a static I.P. address is better as you are setting it manually. Set IP addresses in the range starting from 192.168.0.1 through to 192.168.0.5 (i.e. if you are configuring 5 different computers to share resources)
  3. For the main computer which has got the internet connection, set the IP address for it to be 192.168.0.1. I should imagine you are using broadband connection (perhaps a USB one) via a router. So for the settings in the router, where it may specify which workstations to allow, enter the IP address range of 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.49
  4. For the other workstations (not the main one), e.g. workstation2, the IP address should be 192.168.0.2, the Primary DNS Server should be 192.168.0.1
  5. For all workstations, set the Subnet mask to be 255.255.255.0
  6. Initially when testing out the connections between your workgroup, ensure that the Firewall is disabled in the Router and all the workstations.
  7. Use PING facility to ping each machine in your network to ensure that you get a hit and return when talking with them.
  8. If any workstation in your workgroup is Win98 there may be a configuration needed, but if not then you are ok.

Let us know if you get issues or have trouble understanding the above steps.

:Cheers:

Step 3 would only apply if using ICS through a gateway machine. He is setting a router up.

The router should (Normally, or at least I do) be set to have the IP address 192.168.0.1 it can be a different range of addresses too. Although it probably does have a DHCP server function to assign IP addresses you may find it better to assign static ones and disable DHCP on the router.

You may also want to check the settings of your modem too, disable it's DHCP Server if it's running. Try setting the router up to spoof a NIC MAC too, this is the MAC address that it presents to the modem.

A firmware upgrade might help too, my wired Netgear router crashed now and again but after an upgrade it works well.

Dutcho said:
Pipe it could be firewall, is the network added to trusted setion ? Are all machines on same workgroup, also Have you enabled sharing files ect on the lappy ?
have done al lof the above when i go to work group on lappy i see server and laptop
and when i go to server workgroup all i get is server it seems to have lost the lappy not sure how i will put this back in

Have you shared a folder on the laptop?

Try running the network wizard on the laptop again.

Spectre said:
Have you shared a folder on the laptop?

Try running the network wizard on the laptop again.

yep shared folder on both machines this was all working then all of a sudden it stopped the only thing i see it that server dosent see lappy
but lappy see server

pipe as you know when i set it up for you i give your big machine 192.168.01 and the lappy 02 using the big machine go to run type in \\192.168.02 this should show up the lappy then create another folder to share

alternatively, if you make the root folder (c drive) shareable, then type in what allroad mentioned.. \\192.168.0.2\c$

This should give you the contents of the c drive of your laptop.

P.S. What OS system is your big comp and laptop?

Ok, have reset everything and it has all gone in ok, network and broadband sharing setup automatically, tested speed and showing as fine.....thing is it all went ok b4 and then after 24 hours started slowing down...i have swopped my ethernet cables about to c if that helps....fingers crossed...:)

Are you running ICS via the main machine or are u using the router as the gateway and dns server via NT?

if you are using ICS I feel that will be the crux of your problems. the best soulution is to set wireless router as a NAT gateway and DNS server. then each machine will talk to that and not each other. as sounds like what is happening.

the traffic on your network it to high so the network slows down

When i set it up first time it set itself up with ics as main server with all pc's feeding internet access of that 1, now its set up as a gateway and seems a bit better, still lose the line at times tho ???

kms said:
alternatively, if you make the root folder (c drive) shareable, then type in what allroad mentioned.. \\192.168.0.2\c$

This should give you the contents of the c drive of your laptop.

P.S. What OS system is your big comp and laptop?

when i go to server. entire network i see server and laptop but when i go to entire network on lappy it telling me workgroup not accesible the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available

No worries Wiz m8

Im gonna be getting one miself just after Xmas so Ill be prob asking you fer help :)

Back