Hearts appoint Laszlo as manager

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hearts have appointed Uganda coach Csaba Laszlo as their new manager.

The 44-year-old former Ferencváros and Borussia Mönchengladbach coach has signed a three-year contract following the exit of caretaker Stevie Frail.

Romania-born Laszlo will work with sport director Anatoly Korobochka on first-team matters, Hearts announced.

Hearts had earlier received permission to speak to Laszlo from the Ugandan FA, a compensation deal having been agreed for the former Hungary international.

Frail parted company with Hearts on Wednesday, ending a difficult six months in charge, during which they finished a disappointing eighth in the Scottish Premier League.

There was talk of player unrest during those months - one of the longest searches for a manager by any club.

And fans were becoming concerned that it would be difficult to find a top manager willing to work with majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov, who has been accused of meddling in team affairs under previous coaches.

But Laszlo called for those wounds to be healed.

"The most important thing is to know everybody can talk to me," he told Hearts' website.

"Together we can change everything. Together is the most important word in my coaching thinking.

"We are all together. We are not one person."

Hearts turned to Laszlo after Motherwell boss Mark McGhee rejected the opportunity to become the new manager at Tynecastle.

Vladimir Weiss held discussions with Romanov before taking on the Slovakian national job, while talks with German Jurgen Rober stalled.

Former Stoke boss Gudjon Thordarson and sacked Leicester manager Ian Holloway had also been linked with the job.

During his time in charge of Ferencvaros, Laszlo had a much publicised fall-out with former Hearts head coach John Robertson during a Uefa Cup tie in 2004.

Laszlo claimed to have been kicked by Robertson after the match, but the Scot insisted his opposite number had stood on his foot and he was trying to free himself.

And Laszlo believes that he is the man who can make Hearts a force once more.

"I know it is important to be in the first three," he said.

"Four years ago, Hearts were in the Uefa Cup and now my intention is to work hard and find a way for us to get back to international football."

Laszlo narrowly missed out on leading Uganda to the 2008 African Nations Cup finals and has increased their Fifa ranking by 70 places to 97th.

Uganda currently sit two points behind group leaders Benin as they aim to reach the next stage of qualifiers for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.

I give him 6 months, then the mad one will sack him. :proud:

i give him the first game of the season and when he sees that fax machine spitting out the chosen team then he's offski!:proud:

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

his first statement hes going to brake the old firm, romanov said that yet am still waiting lol

his first statement hes going to brake the old firm, romanov said that yet am still waiting lol

how many managers and chairman have said that over the years it aint gonna happen mabye teams will push them a bit more but the old firm will always come out on top in the end

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Back