HDMI KVM Extender advice

DC2019

New Member +
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and was hoping to get a little advice on HDMI extenders.
I'd like to be able to use my existing Cat5e home network to be able to extend the HDMI (all KVM if possible) to different areas in my house.

The trouble seems to be how much do I realistically need to spend? I've seen some products at around £80 up to £300 (big difference).

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

I'm hoping to be able to extend my PC display (via HDMI output) into a different room (working from home a lot more now 😷). If possible I'd like to extended the USB mouse and keyboard as well (KVM)
I have two existing spare network points (cat5e) from the study that I could link to spare network points in other rooms, so avoiding router.
But, I'm not sure about the display resolution running through the extender (if that makes sense). Is EDID essential?
Also, is it worth spending more money on a HDBaseT device? Or even over IP?
The more I looked into it the more questions I ended up with..

Sorry if this is still all a bit vague, just didn't want to spend £180+ if a £60 device would do the job fine.

if you have CAT5e, you can get HDMI to CAT5e extenders (theyre sold in pairs) as well as an HDMI splitter. or matrix depending on what you want to do with the signal

Hi, thanks for the reply. Sorry forgot I did actually wire the network in Cat6 (not sure that makes a difference, not interested in 4K resolutions).
The issue I had was when I tried using the HDMI output on the computers GPU, it worked fine on one TV but on a different (smaller) TV/Monitor I couldn't get a 'fit to frame?' resolution.
The part that seems unclear on the specs of the HDMI extenders is what resolutions they throughput. Most extenders seem to list a few resolutions in the spec but are they limited to those listed? I've read through a lot of 'user reviews' but most people seem to be using HDMI extenders for TV output whereas I'm interested in PC display output.
Apologies if this seems all a bit vague.

Back