Hardware hdmi extender not working

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys - got a toshiba laptop. 1080p, with all the bells and whistles, it has hdmi port..at the moment i have a 10m hdmi cable that works fine with my laptop and tv, i wanted to extend the hdmi lead by about another 3m, so i bought one and THIS hdmi adaptor, it worked fine for only once and now the adaptor doesnt get picked up by windows 10 when i have it connected inbetween the two cable, the individual cables ie 10m and the 3m hdmi are working fine withoyt the hdmi adaptor as i checked them out...any ideas?..does it need drivers or anything..?

Its the adaptor seeing as your Pushing power through the HDMI cables any breakage including adaptors will show up as a weak link, nothing like a straight through cable or even better Cat5E HDMI extenders

Its the adaptor seeing as your Pushing power through the HDMI cables any breakage including adaptors will show up as a weak link, nothing like a straight through cable or even better Cat5E HDMI extenders

A customer (who like playing about himself first) asked me to extend HDMI to another room, using cat5 extenders he'd bought. There was roughly 30m of cat5 (2 runs) between the locations. The first extender pair worked for a few seconds, blanked out then worked again for a few sec's. This set was only powered at one end. Then I tried the other one, which had a power supply at each end and that worked fine- except the IR return- that wouldn't work with either.
Common issues?

A customer (who like playing about himself first) asked me to extend HDMI to another room, using cat5 extenders he'd bought. There was roughly 30m of cat5 (2 runs) between the locations. The first extender pair worked for a few seconds, blanked out then worked again for a few sec's. This set was only powered at one end. Then I tried the other one, which had a power supply at each end and that worked fine- except the IR return- that wouldn't work with either.
Common issues?

I would suppose that would depend on the brand and quality of the Extenders i have never used the Cheap £30-£40 range as most are just cheap chines clones always used a brand like wyrestorm or similar not cheap but have been working on installs about 2 years without problems

careful with posts looking like you hunting a download
you need to post useful info

Common issues?

I have a retired friend that helps out in a library and he tried to extend something on HDMI using CAT6 (I think it was CAT6, rip off cable anyway, could do it on CAT4 never mind 6...) with powered units at both end and it doesn't work. I think he said it was a 50 foot cable run.

Told him to try it with a short Ethernet cable just to prove the units work but don't know the result yet.

Back