HDMI cable

casuk

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi I ordered new HDMI cables and thought I'd go for the 4k ones so I have them if needed, I'm just wondering can I use these for my xtrend to TV just like a normal one and if so will it improve quality
43e53d23d2eab37058615ef200fc4a00.jpg

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I would always tell people before they purchase any new so called UHD 4K certified HDMI cable, Please try your existing cables first as they may be more than adequate for the job.

Presently anything certified High-Speed with Ethernet will do the Job but as i said always test your own cable first and never spend a fortune, as an example the Amazon Basics cable will work with 4K UHD HDR material from UHD Blu Ray and only cost a few pounds

Iv not got a bluray player I just thought I'd get them as I had the money at the time and just bought a new TV aswel

Digits are digits, ones and zeros. Either a cable works or it doesn't. No cable that works is better than any other cable, no matter what the price is.

So its just a gimmick then

Return them if you can hdmi cables are not worth paying more than £15 and that's for a long one.

Amazon basic are decent and few other brands on amazon like KabelDirekt and neet

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I will just keep them and use with the existing equip I have, not a major loss

I wouldn't say they were a complete gimmick. I'd expect a better build quality on a £5 cable compared to a poundshop cable.

I'd not really pay more than £5 for a cable and unless someone showed me undeniable proof that paying 30 quid or more for any kinda cable is of any benefit then I'll stick with reasonably priced.

I still remember when my dad got conned into buying a monster scart cable from Currys when he bought our very first dvd player. Turnes out it was no better than the scart cable he was using for his vcr... Lesson learnt very vast.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

well sorry to say most of my kit is monster and seeing the difference from an ordinary hdmi cable to razor sharp image on my 50" kuro converted me.
green power hometheatre power outlets and everything protected.

johnny has got it covered:banana:

well sorry to say most of my kit is monster and seeing the difference from an ordinary hdmi cable to razor sharp image on my 50" kuro converted me.

Ever heard of 'expectation bias'? :whistle:

As has been said hdmi has digital info on it, it either works or doesnt. any better quality cable would only be useful on distance runs.

Scart cables could provide a better picture in theory with them having analogue signals. again though probably through distance runs. Back in the day I used to work for a sony centre and they used to hock expensive ixos leads all of the time. I opened one out of curiosity once. they may have had better cabling I couldnt really say, the soldering between the cables and pins was very shoddy however.
Apart from distance runs expensive leads are a con.

Placebo effect

Digital is digital.

how come i get better picture quality from changing the hdmi that is sold with box with a slightly distorted grainy effect?

quality differs as like people with cable boxes old cable does not work with new gear
and better cables give a better signal.

...and better cables give a better signal.

With analogue signals, in a lot of cases, yes.

With digital signals, over normal cable lengths, no. This thread is about HDMI(digital) cables.

"Ye cannae change the laws of Physics"

In fairness, I have seen some cheap HDMI cables give a grainy (sparklies) effect, presumably they lose so much signal that the signal arriving at the input is just on the threshold. But overall, I agree, for the most part it's all a big con.

I had never heard the term 'expectation bias' @nara, must remember that.

Last edited by a moderator:
why,if picture quality is improved by a better cable then i will spend it and wont regret it as i have 4 cables that show a grainy picture that i dont like.

Back