HDMI cable

ice2004

Inactive User
Reaction score
I was given an HDMI cable and just wondered if there was anyway to find out what version (1.2, 1.3) it was just by looking at the cable. Or is there anyway to tell?

On the cable it says

Hannstar E52534-D AWM 20276 30V 80degreesC VW-1 HDMI CABLE

Are cables specific to the connecter? I havent seen any 1.3 cables but I wouldn't buy one now anyway as they would be very expensive for something that you couldn't use

If you have a 1.3 connecter on a source connect it up without the sound outputs. HDMI 1.3 carrys audio as well as opposed to 1 or 1.1

I was given an HDMI cable and just wondered if there was anyway to find out what version (1.2, 1.3) it was just by looking at the cable. Or is there anyway to tell?

On the cable it says

Hannstar E52534-D AWM 20276 30V 80degreesC VW-1 HDMI CABLE
never heard of diff versions
i just bought one from ebay

works for me ok and with high deff

Well, its not as straightforward as most people think, especially the latest improvements...looks like its worth investing in 1.3 but would mean your plasma/lcd would also have to support it. Luckily for me, my plasma panel has boards I can pull out and replace, but for most peeps you will probably be stuck with what you got which is more than likely 1.2 or less. 1.2 Still supports 1080P tho.

HDMI 1.0

Released December 2002 - Single-cable digital audio/video connection with a maximum bit rate of 4.9Gbps. Supports up to 165Mpixels/sec video

HDMI 1.1

Released May 2004 - Added support for content protection metadata required for DVD Audio.

HDMI 1.2

Released August 2005 - Added support for One Bit Audio, used on Super Audio CDs, up to 8 channels.

HDMI 1.2a

Released December 2005 - Fully specifies Consumer Electronic Control (CEC) features, command sets, and CEC compliance tests.

HDMI 1.3

Released 22 June 2006 - Increases single-link bandwidth to 340 MHz (10.2 Gbps). This requires a cable designed for these higher bandwidths. All previous versions used the same HDMI cable. HDMI 1.3 and HDMI 1.3a use the same connector as HDMI 1.2a

HDMI 1.3a

Released 10 November 2006

• higher data transfer speeds
  • Supports a format known as deep colour
  • automatic audio syncing (lip sync) capability
  • output of Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio streams
  • can transport uncompressed audio
  • provides for a new mini connector for devices such as camcorders

Back