Hdd

kallum67

Reaction score
Hi I have pulled a hard drive out if a virgin TiVo box and I do not know how to format it because it is using a fdisk partition which is not supported by windows and I want to know how I would be able to format it and it is only showing up as 0.050 KB on the drive

Is it a seagate 500gb, I was recently given one out of a virgin box by gez, I got it working using Seagate DiscWizard.

If I remember rightly it repreps it for you to raw, so when You put it in the pc it will be recognized in disc management to assign a drive letter, then format.

Last edited:
I am planning to use the drive for external storage and the drive is detected in the bios and it is detected in windows and now in disk manager it is saying disk not ready

In Disk manager can You not highlight it, right click on it and assign a drive letter?
And what make of drive is it? @kallum67

Forget the drive letter You said it is seen in windows now so it must have one.

you cannot right click it and assign a drive letter the only options is initialize disk properties but when you go to initialize the disk it says disk not ready and the make of the drive is seagate

I've just tried diskwizard again, I used the add new disk option, is that You tried? and it failed to see it.

I just pulled the old 500gb out my old non working tivo box, thanks for the suggestion. It was found by disk management and i had to initialize it before it was seen by windows. I was surprised to find it was western digital caviar green!

Ive had a few drives taken from old VM boxes.
Unless the drive is faulty then windows disk management should work fine.

Back