HD Problem

max10

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have got a phillips tv which is hd ready,however it has a dvi connection socket.

I can connect the hdmi cable via dvi connector which i have, however no sound comes out

I have connected my dvd player via the hdmi cable and also some sound cables.

What i wanted to know was how can get sound, do i need to connect the hdmi cable and also another cable for the sound, at the moment playing the ps3 via red yellow and white cables.

i think you will have to use a seperate speaker system to get sound this way, using the ps3 optical output.

i aint tried it as i have hdmi, but i have heard of similar problems with your type of setup. i would look into it a bit more. trying having a read through some of the posts on the official playstation forums. you might get an answer there

tried a few things but had no luck

:) It is a simple fact that the DVI standard does not have the ability to carry audio (physically no pins on the connector allocated for it !) your options are to use the optical out on the PS to your dolby DIG amp (which is what I do as games truly sound excellent in surround sound) or get the standard PS AV cable and use the red and white connectors only to connect with the associated audio input connector for the DVI port on your TV.

PS there is a small posibillty that you will struggle with playing blue ray movies, if your TV is to old to have a HDMI socket then I doubt it supports HDCP (Hi def content protection) this means HD movies played on your TV either wont play or will be limited to standard DVD quality !

thanks for letting me know, i have pucrchased a converter or connector from ebay which i will try.

Back