HD/HDD camcorders

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone got a HD/HDD camcorder ?
maybe looking into getting one and wondered if anyone could recommend any :)

I dont know really m8
Ive only just started looking at them myself :)

The ones I've seen so far record to SD card so they are tiny little things.
Not had one to play with though. They had them on QVC last night. (mustn't have been much on the telly last night lol)
Also not had mine (mini DV) long enough to convince Mrs Curly that we need a new one lol.

Curly

I'd recommend the Canon HV10 and HV20. Both offer excellent low light performance so will shoot great video indoors without a flash.

Whats the budget?

as little as possible lol
tbh m8 I havent thought about price that much
£500/£600 max

I read this review on the cannon

2GB File Limit leads to sound dropouts.

As a sound engineer I am interested in sound quality first. I do not know much about video. When I picked up my HG10 from B&H video the first thing I did was testing what I can do with audio files. Apparently, HG10 creates about 2GB files in size which cannot be combined seamlessly in post production editor. So, if you are shooting 15min episodes or shorter that shouldn't bother you but when it comes to filming concerts and shows this camcorder is not your best choice because at the point where the file was cut you will hear sound dropouts. This limitation is casually mentioned in the manual. I guess, I will be getting some other camcorder because I need to film concerts, recitals and stuff like this.

I just searched what you sugested m8 but I wanted a HDD one really as I cant imagine you can get much on a memory card ? and I dont want tapes

Im struggling to find how much HD recording you can transfer to DVD

These digicams will never give you great sound, even the ones that claim to record in 5.1 sound.

You can pick up a HV20 for around £350 from ebay or order direct from Japan www.pricejapan.com for even less. Personally I'd order one from the US for the same price but you'll have to find a retailer that ships abroad.

I think recording to tape is the way to go, much better than SSD or similiar technology. You'll gain the fastest possible video bitrates using tape technology, plus you'll always have the master as the backup. Editing is also much easier with tape based devices.

Check out the Sony HC7 as well.

thanks for the tips Munkey :)

basically I'm bored and I need a new hobby :)
the wife is into photography (mainly the kids) so I thought Id have a go at videoing and editing :)

Get an SLR and a zoom lens Rat, I'm sure you'll have more fun with it plus you'll learn how to take proper pictures..

..unless you plan on shooting vids for redtube, in that case get a tripod as well :)

lol
the wife has a nice camera this is my treat :)
Im drwn to the Sony HDR-SR10E

JVC do some nice camcorders m8

JVC

I have a 40gig Hard Drive one thats few models down from that one now but it is pure quality, so I imagine this one is the nuts :) I am going to try and convince the Mrs we need a new one lol

Thanks Dave :) Ill have a butchers at that m8 :)

The SR10E seems to have more pixels but a smaller imager than the miniDV series. Definitely try before you buy, I don't think this is an internet purchase unless you can check it out in a local store. I'm guessing but indoor shooting may be subject to noise. 15x optical zoom is awesome.

I am being very picky of course..

So far as build quality goes Sony are one of the best of not the best. Canon's are much lower down the list.

If you pull the trigger before August I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are on your new toy. Good hunting.

Back