Have I waited too long?

SpikeyT

Inactive User
Reaction score
Guys need advice.

Did loads of research on plasma and LCD HD TV’s during the back end of last and early this. Decided that the Sony KDL40X2000 was for me, found the best prices, checked stock and placed an order.

Low and behold the business that I placed the order with was out-of-stock, as well; this was after they had taken my money!

I have now been waiting since 14 February and they insist that there is no UK stock and I am right at the top of the list to get the next one – but how long do I wait, it has been 2 months now?

Do I hang-on in there, it was a superb TV at the time of order and at £1,759.85 a very good price?

Or have I waited too long now and there is probably something better out there anyway (for that price) – must admit I have taken my hand of ball with regard to the HD market just lately.

Appreciate advice from those in the know.

Spikey

get your money back for a start. prices fall on a weekly basis so that tv is alot cheaper now.

all the new tvs arrive in June so that should help drop prices of the older stock some more.

unless you're a hardcore Sony fan I'd check out the new Panasonic or Pioneer plasmas or Samsung and Sharp for LCDs.

get your money back for a start. prices fall on a weekly basis so that tv is alot cheaper now.

all the new tvs arrive in June so that should help drop prices of the older stock some more.

unless you're a hardcore Sony fan I'd check out the new Panasonic or Pioneer plasmas or Samsung and Sharp for LCDs.

i agree with munkey get your money back asap as they are getting interest on it for fook all
would i fook be waiting when you can walk into some shops get a discount for cash and put it in your car and off
if you aint got a car then put the saving towards one
you dont need advice do the sensible thing

Guys, many thanks - I guessed just as much! Been way and too busy of late, let the situation slip and needed the swift guidance (kick up the ass)- it is appreciated.

Just tried to get my money back, but they are closed for the weekend.

I have checked again on the net for availability and Dixons have the 40X2000 in stock at £1,825. I really like this TV, the Bravia 40W2000 was superb, but the X model blew me away.

I am a Sony fan, the quality always seems good, but I am open to ideas - any models out there that compare or beat the 40X2000, IYHO's?

Spikey

Before you spend the thick end of 2 grand on a 40" Bravia make sure you get a demo to see how they handle SD material. Agreed they are great with HD but with normal TV I just don't think they are good enough. The X series is by far the best in this respect but IMHO still not good enough. For less money you can get more inches and a much better SD picture if you go with a Panasonic or Pioneer plasma.

Spikey. What are you going to be using the tv mainly? Will you be gaming on it or watching sky HD?

Munkey, mostly it will be watching my SD movies and for HD Xbox 360.

Redeye's comments bother me, the demo I saw looked superb, but I must admit I only looked at the HD quality and not the SD quality - hence why I am bothered.

I am going to have to check out what Panasonic or Pioneer plasma's can give me.

Been trying to short list my viewing options based on the advice: Seems that I can get the Sharp LC42XD1E, with similar spec to the Sony 40X2000, save myself nearly £700 and get 2 more inches!

Is anybody familar with the Sharp LC42XD1E? Planning on going to investigate Saturday and could do with any inspection tips.

Spikey

Spikey

I returned a 37XD1E a few months back as the tv suffered from vertical banding. Apparently loads of the XD1E's suffered from banding (more than 50% according to avforums) The SD performance was great but those bands were just awful. I also tried a Smasung from the F7 series which was good but again had problems so it went back. I sttled on a Sharp 37P55E for £525 inc del. Its not 'HD Ready' as the resolution is only 960x540 but it can scale any signal. The SD performance is as close to CRT as you can get (with a freeview tuner, ntl via dbox looks good also but not excellent)

Other tvs I checked out were the Pioneer 427s and Panasonic 42" upwards plasmas. None could do SD pictures as good as the P55E. Basicly what I am getting at here is that forget all this HD nonsense as it just doesnt cut the mustard in the UK where 95% of our tv is SD.

If you dont mind a Sd plasma the old Panasonic's PWD range are excellent for normal tv. You can pick one of them up on ebay for £300-£400. The PWD7 and 8 are excellent. With the money that you save you can do what I did (if the wife lets you) and get a 1080p projector. One year go they cost over £5k (2 years ago over £10k) Now you can get one for around £1500. Believe me they are the nuts. I have ordered a 128" screen!!

I agree with Redeye on the X series from Sony, I dont rate those tvs at all. They do look great when not turned on though lol.

Since you'll be 360ing a tv that can do 1:1 pixel mapping will be a bonus and only some tv's do this feature. it will mean no scaling which is fantastic.

You have a great budget but spend it wisely. If your room can support it the tv/projector combo rocks and could be done within your budget. 1080p on plasmas will become a norm after summer but we have no idea how it will handle SD.

If MOTD looks crap then was it worth it lol

Wow that has got me thinking!

Thanks Munkey for the advice, I will get back to you.

Spikey

Back