Has anybody had their xbox "replaced" by M$ repair centre?

ms2005

Inactive User
Reaction score
The reason I ask is when mine broke AGAIN the other week I was told that 3 strikes and they replace it.

I've just got off the phone with some guy from the States who said M$ have no policy to ever replace broken xboxs they just keep fixing them. When I explained would they just keep "fixing" it until my warranty runs out he suggested i buy an extended warranty, which we all know only covers me for what the SOGA does anyway, needless to say he didn;t really know what I was on about and refused to compensate me for the £21 I've spent on the phone to them, the 4 days I've had to wait in for UPS to arrive and not to mention them failing to send back a UK plug which he openly stated was "quite a problem".

Maybe they should employ some people with brains to work out UK xboxs need UK plugs

I would of thought UK consumer law would mean you could demand it be replaced.
The item has to be fit for purpose and if you've had to get it fixed that many times then there is a good argument for it not being fit for purpose (doesn't matter what their policy is or the fact they're an American company).
I'm sure someone on here could probably give better legal advice than this but normally with any company, you stamp your feet hard enough and they will back down.

Normally once you have allowed a repair then you lose the right to get your money back, not sure on the rules with a replacement.

funny enough I am a trainee solicitor so the law is not really an issue but in reality 90% of our law is simply not practical but that's a whole different story.

Bottom line is CPA and SOGA requires the applicant to prove the fault was pre-existing at dispatch which is, despite everybody's xbox breaking, extremely hard. M$ simply argue that at the time of manufacturing the fault did not exist, as such your complaint is with whoever you bought it from who obviously won't entertain the conversation 3 years after i purchased it.

My only grounds are that I was told by a rep on xbox support that a 3rd breakage happens to only 1% of consoles and that these are replaced, this is contradicted by our yank friend who I have asked to prove that statistic, more than anything I just wanted them to have to do something. He also stated that the repair centres do not have access to new consoles and that in the unlikely event it was replaced it would be for another "repair" console, so really not changing the situation at all.

A conversation in the pub between 4 people last night ascertained that between us we knew of 11 xboxs to have suffered the 3 RROD, 5 from one individual.

What I really was after was some ammo to suggest that in fact they have, in the past, replaced xboxs that are faulty.

They're pissing me off mostly as my warranty is up in 3 months and they know it so if they can hold out 3 months any repairs, I will have to pay for.

i sent one back just for the hell of it (flashed and everything :))

sent me it back with a letter saying

cut short
"sorry box has been opened" :proud:

Back