Hardware issue with desktop

gasman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a desktop pc (Gigabyte 81915p, P4 core 2 duo,2gb ram,Nvidia 8800gt 512mb, GTX light 480w psu ) and it is acting really random. I have tracked the problem to the hard drive intermittently stopping. The hard drive stops as if not present then works again once it is unplugged then plugged back in. Firstly i was thinking that the hard drive was dying but im now starting to think that maybe the mobo or the psu is the culprit. I cant boot any of the operating systems on the disk and nor will it become visible in mini xp from hirens boot cd.
Anyone got any suggestions to narrow this fault down further. Im going to dig out an old hard drive and see if i cant get an operating system working on the mobo etc.

Is it SATA?

The PATA Molex power plugs were a bit suspect.

Could bu the mainboard like you say. Can you test the drive in another machine?

I've had drives fail and they used to intermittently spin down and back up.

Is it SATA?

The PATA Molex power plugs were a bit suspect.

Could bu the mainboard like you say. Can you test the drive in another machine?

I've had drives fail and they used to intermittently spin down and back up.
Ta mate yea it's a sata and ive swapped out the cable for a new one today with no success. Perfect timing as until this month my house was like a pc graveyard but i finally relented and let her make me chuck all me old shite out. Might have chucked an old pc case in the loft with a workin mobo/cpu but im not shure.

What a pisser it was the hard drive after all !! So now ive got 500 gig of stuff to attempt recovery on. :Chainsaw:

Yes that is not good to say the least. Tryusing Get Back Data for the recovery.

Data Recovery Software to Get Back Data | Deleted File Recovery Programs

Thanks mate but the hard drive seems to suffer from power outages hard to explain but when i used a gui hd scanner i could actuallly see the drive read the sectors then stop read then stop and on it continued. Funny that as that exactly how both operating systems acted whilst running.
Whilst using the scanner every now and again i got the message media disconnected so i unplugged the drive sata cable then plugged back in and it would start to read again lol.
Anyone had any success with changing the pcb on the drive or seen anything like this ?

As lp has said you will need the exact pcb if you intend to change it and that really is a difficult thing to find.

Spectre has a good point and it might well prove to be something simple.

What is the exact model of the HD?

TEST
Back