hard drive

wilson1980

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
looking to up grade my 60gig hard drive to what ever..any good deals kicking about guys..dont really have any music or that on it..but thinkin about storin them on it for the surround sound in my livin room..

What size you thinking of mate, im keeping any eye out for one since the new upgrade, Ill let you know what i find. Ive already transferred 1gb for playing as the BGM, when games start to incoperate it

Best i could find so far is this here a WD 320GB 5400RPM SATA for £70.49 inc VAT. If anyone can find any better deals let me know. As i cant really see many 2.5" SATA 500gb+ that are cheap for value per GB. I mean they jump from £70 for a 320GB to about £140 for a 500GB :FRIGHT:

Last edited:
I have not tried yet, but does the hard drive have to go back inside, are the connections long enough inside, or if its push in, can you put an extender cable in and leave the hd outside the system, i know it wont look as nice but then you have more choices of hd to look for instead of 2.5 size etc

Yeah its possible all you need is a cable like this
ps3_3.jpg

And basically any 3.5"(not 100% sure on this) sata hdd enclosure with its own power supply, then all you do is connect the hdd to the PS3 using the cable.

Last edited:
Ideal, i think thats the way I will go, cheers m8 :)

Take a look here for an example mate. Im not too sure of the ins and outs though.

that does look a good way to go i wasnt thinking of changing mine until it was hacked but i think may now but tbh the longer it goes on im thinking it wont be able to be hacked at least until blu-ray discs come down in price

Yeah its possible all you need is a cable like this
ps3_3.jpg

And basically any 3.5"(not 100% sure on this) sata hdd enclosure with its own power supply, then all you do is connect the hdd to the PS3 using the cable.

Hi m8,

any chance you can point me in the right direction as to where I can get one of those cables please

Hi m8,

any chance you can point me in the right direction as to where I can get one of those cables please

They are a nightmare to get hold of, i found one shop and its Japanese so you couldn't even order without being fluent lol. I've done some reading and you might not need that cable at all. Read here for more info on this. If you look at the thoughts bit further down it shows about using an external drive with esata enclosure. To me this means you could get a male 7-pin sata to esata cable (not sure if you can get these, cant find them anywhere) with the sata end like below and have the other end of the cable as esata
sata1xu5.jpg
I've also found a nice 3.5" esata enclosure which would look nice sat next to a PS3 here Just thought you could use a 1Tb hdd this way :proud: if it would work.

Thanks m8, great info, and yes that enclosure looks great, just getting this bleeding cable sorted I spose, I will have a look around and see what I can find.

Ebuyer have a 320 western Digital for £61.29 inc VAT and P+P

h**p://www.ebuyer.com/product/136790/show_product_reviews

Back