hard drive from one to another

hi mate is the pc the same as your old 1 i mean chipset motherboard and so on if it anit will have probs

If its coming up with a stop 00000006 error then that is hard drive controller.

You got a bigger problem if the HAL files are differents.

I think you could try would be to do a repair from XP CD, boot from CD as normal and when asked if you wish to install a new copy of the O/S select no and install over existing how.

All your hardware drivers will be wrong, everything will be wrong.

Best to backup what you want from the drive and reformat it.

Try the repair from XP CD, else as witchy says its time to backup the data and start from scratch.

ok guys thanks for your feed back, wil go for the back up then as complete format, :)

HubbleSite - The Telescope - Hubble Essentials - Quick Facts

Next time you do this, before you remove the HDD delete the chipset and video drivers and reboot. Allow Xp to install the generic drivers, then turn the PC off and remove the HDD and install it into your other PC.
Xp will boot up and install most of the drivers you need, enough to get you online and then you can either download the the drivers you need or install from a cd.

The problem here is most people don't know what chipset drivers are.
Google is your friend and all you need to do is go to the maufactors website and download what you need.

Xp is a little old now, this is why 7 is better as it will install nearly everthing for you.

As mentioned above XP would be very confused and in some cases will not boot. Formating is alittle extreme, at most booting from the XP cd and doing a repair should fix it.

windows 98 and me / 2000 as well i think used to let you do this, but from xp onwards if there is a major hardware change it blues screens on you on purpose, however with vista and 7 you can do a repair which should get it going again, with xp you have to do a new installation over top of old one.

if you want to stop your pc rebooting on blue screen, check through your bios there should be a setting for reboot on error, disable this and the blue screen will stay and you can get the error code.

but like i say its due to a major hardware change, and was implemented on purpose by MS to stop people taking ghost images of an OS and just ghosting it to a new pc and letting the OS just resinatll the drivers for the new system.

Hello cheeky monkey.

I don't want to confuse anyone here, but I done this a few times now with PC's.
Yes I have had the BSOD and your right an install over the top works and no loss of data by the way. It's true what you say MS have done this on purpose.

Truthly It works and I have done it with an xp home (retail) and upgrade xp pro.
If memory serves me right all I had to do was activate XP again as there were major hardware changers. But that was only with the upgrade ver.

Last edited:
So did you do a repair or when presented with options during install time, select upgrade an existing installation ?

So did you do a repair or when presented with options during install time, select upgrade an existing installation ?

Can't remember TBH.

This reminds me of another time when a work mate asked me to take a look at his PC. Turns out he needed another CPU and motherboard as some one had forced the CPU into socket on the motherboard and crushed the pins. Plus they had also messed round with one of the cooling fans on the motherboard. Any way getting to the point, I replaced the hardware XP ran perfectly.

Back