Happy 25th Birthday: Commodore Amiga

Conners

DW Member +
Reaction score
Has it really been that long already?. This month, The Amiga is celebrating its 25th birthday!

The chipset codenamed "Lorraine" was originally destined to become a home console but when the video game crash of 1983 occurred it was decided the chipset would be used in a personal computer instead.

The results of that original work became the device seen in the preview thumbnail, The Commodore Amiga 1000. Costing $1295 the system boasted 256KB of RAM, a 16-bit 7.16MHz Motorola 68000 processor, a 3.5-inch floppy disk drive and stereo sound. Also offered was the 13 inch monitor for an extra $300.

Throughout the years the Amiga brand spawned many models placing itself as the leading personal computer in European homes and even spawning a console variant the CD32.

What really stood out about the Amiga was the vast amount of games many of which still hold a dear place in gamers hearts today such as Alien Breed, Body Blows, Canon Fodder, Chaos Engine, Speedball 2 and even Electronics Arts renowned combat flight simulator FA/18 Interceptor.

So in honour of the marvellous Amiga platform that is still alive in various forms today, Pull out that hardware, Yank out that emulator and show the Amiga that it's still as good today as it was 25 years ago!

MaxConsole - Happy 25th Birthday: Commodore Amiga

Wow, was it really 25 years ago!

I milked my C64 until 1990 when I could finally afford an Amiga :)

C64, you were rich then. Us porpers had to make do with the speccy

That takes me back. Used to buy games of a guy down the barras. Had a c64 aswell.

thebigman

That takes me back. Used to buy games of a guy down the barras.

I got mine from the Barras too. I used to get them from a gypo family that had a big stall upstairs in that big condemed building. I'd be standing there for hours looking through the big book of releases. :)

I still have my amiga 4000 and 1200 :) I still like the odd game of microprose f1.

I watched that proggy last night on bbc hd about Clive sinclair and the dude who formed Acorn. It brought back some memories lol. My first computer was a zx 81 then a speccy then a speccy + then the best of all the Amiga.
After that i built my first pc from kit parts the first spec AT pc and had windows 3.1 but i preffered dos then lol.

Amiga will always be my favourite games machine... every monday meeting your mates at school swapping games then using xcopy and white lightening etc.. to build your collection those were the days... and i must have lost years to kick off 2, sensi and then champ manager... as someone above mentioned as well F1 microprose was superb
Also Microprose Golf was superb apparantly its released on the pc under the name of david leadbetter golf never been able to find it though anyone help!!!!! i want to play it now! lol

Actually, if truth be told I preferred my C64 to my Amigas - I had them all, even the CD32.

Yes I know the Amiga blew the C64 out the water in every way possible, but my main nostalgic machine is definitely the C64.

Actually, if truth be told I preferred my C64 to my Amigas - I had them all, even the CD32.

Yes I know the Amiga blew the C64 out the water in every way possible, but my main nostalgic machine is definitely the C64.

now thats just a daft statement! lol

Dont forget desert strike and jimmy whites snooker it was before its time the amiga was

War never been so much fun. :) Anybody remember that one.

Last edited:

I still have my CD32 up the loft and it still works. :)

Cannon Fodder was indeed brilliant.

We've still got our CD32 aswell.

Piracy on it is crazy, there is absolutely no copy protection on the discs at all. :)

I've downloaded and burnt the entire collected.

i still have my amiga 1200 and all the games on disk...my kids laught at it, there think is a big keyboard. when i said to them is was one of the best computer of the 80s. Going to Leeds car-boot every sunday to buy copy games, You have to be there early in morning to get the new release or there all gone before 9...also had Vic20

Still got my c64 with the plug in gun, I stupidly swapped my amiga with 100's of games for a SNES. I regret it to this day...

Back