Handheld retro gaming device

samsentinel

Reaction score
Hi could anyone suggest a good handheld gaming device for playing retro games up to ps2 thats pretty straight forward to use adding ROMS etc. Thanks

Hi could anyone suggest a good handheld gaming device for playing retro games up to ps2 thats pretty straight forward to use adding ROMS etc. Thanks
I would have thought your best option is a powerful Android phone and one of those snap on Bluetooth controllers so that it looks like a switch.

Alternatively if you have a pc with a recent nvidea GPU then the ps vita has a moonlight port that can stream anything from your pc both on LAN and over the internet which opens up the field. You could stream something like launchbox/bigbox anywhere in the world. Come to think of it, even without moonlight, the vita gives rock solid native emulation up to ps1, N64 is a bit wobbly. The vita native games look as good as ps2 imo

I don't think there's a handheld out there that could play the vast majority of PS2 games properly. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Quite a lot of people use a raspberry pi for emulation, including PS2, in MAME cabinets etc..

You can get LCD screens for a Pi and also cases with built in 7" LCD screens, you can also run a Pi from a battery.

Not sure is you can get a case with built in LCD and also game pad, but you can use any bluetooth gamepad with it.

s-l225.webp

3.5 Inch IPS Screen Game Consle with Shell for Raspberry Pi A +/B +/2B /3B /3B+

£32.32

Fleebay

Back