Hamstring Strain

Evastar

Inactive User
Reaction score
Cause

Acute strains are common due to over-use or over-stretching in many sports especially sports requiring powerful knee flexion like sprinting.

As the hamstrings act as opposing muscles to the quadriceps they are under more stress as the quadriceps are a larger group of muscles.

Injury may occur anywhere along the belly of the muscle as well as at the attachments. Chronic injury tends to build up at the distal attachments, an acute injury at the proximal attachment.

Signs and Symptoms

If acute the tear will force the athlete to cease running.
It will feel like a blow to the back of the thigh.
Discomfort and tenderness over the area.
Function will be decreased.
Inflammation.
May feel a gap where the fibres have been torn.

Treatment

RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) acute stage, treatment can begin after 2 - 3 days.

Therapist should: perform SLR (straight leg raise) to assess flexibility.
Treat hamstrings (trigger points, treat all attachments) quads, piriformis, gluteus medius and maximus.
MET hamstrings and piriformis.

At home: Stretch hamstrings. Strengthening exercises for the hamstrings.

Got any advice to speed up healing of my injury? I think it's ankle ligaments and the tissue/muscle between the metatarsals. Went to shoot the ball, guy did a slide challenge, ended up lacing his foot instead.

Rested it for about 3 or 4 weeks now and been going swimming.

Any tips to strengthen the ankle ligaments?

If it's still swollen use contrast bathing, ie cold water and then warm water.

If not, bathe it morning and evening and do the alphabet with your foot in the warm water i.e. draw all the letters from A - Z with your toes. :)

uppercase or lowercase? lol just messing.

That's a great little tip. It's not swollen, just can't kick a ball without it hurting, especially around between the metatarsals and also the ligaments.

Well maybe you need to go see the doctor about it, if it's been sore for a while.

I'll have a little kickabout on the weekend and I'll see how it is. If it's still really bad, then I'll go =D

Thanks

Is this at the top of your foot m8, if so I did this playing rugby twice on each foot (different times of course!) took me around 3 months before I could kick a ball.

It's a weird injury really!!

JohnO

It's 2 things

One is at the top of the foot. You know where the lace part is, but closer to the toes. It's more between the metatarsals.

The other is the ligaments of the ankle. Mainly the movement of the ankle is affected when I want to turn. It's a lot better now, but I know one violent move or a knock could have a bad effect.

Back