guys that have removed there modems and have had low ber results

bloodstone1964

Inactive User
Reaction score
guys. who have removed MODEM PLUG does it lower the BER..?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This question goes to anyone who has taken out the modem plug,or who has solved a problem with high ber does taking out the modem actually lower your BER or does it make no difference, sometimes the ber on terrestrial tv is very high in the tens of thousands and the spy channels can be ok and at other times the spy channels can be very high and the terrestrial tv can be low, the ber is really high most of the time and this is interfering with any recordings i try to make and im finding that im having to delete recordings as they are unwatchable, im not very confident with taking my Dbox to bits but if it will help me any i will try it, i am using sporter version 1.705 uk on both my Dbox's but both can box's can be extremly high to the point of the channel not even loading up, other times the channel will load but the ber is so high and the sticking and stuttering is so bad its unwatchable most of the time, i was hoping to cancel my spy sub after christmas but if i can't get my problems with my ber sorted out i can't go ahead and do anything, if anyone can please help in any way let me know as i have posted this message several times and haven't seemed to get much response

thanks in advance to anyone who can help input any imfo ... sorry post wrong place 1st time...

just remove the modem anyway - its not as if theres any soldering to do, you just take the screws out the back of the box to remove the cover, and then pull the modem out - literally.

the best way is to do it and see what happens. it can only make your box function better; even if it doesnt bring down your high BER levels.

there is really no point takin the modem out, all u do is unplug the wire from the motherboard.

sagem boxes = just pull wire out from mainboard
nokia boxes = must remove complete modem

errr what is the BER level? search didnt show any thing ..

BER is Bit Error Rate and bellow 20,000 is better but NOT essential

Sig is Signal strength and of course the higher this is the better

SNR is Signal to Noise ratio

oo i c, i neva new u can remove modem from nokia box, gona removve it right away, thanks liam.

SNR is the most important (Signal to Noise ratio)
this is how much of the AVAILABLE signal it can see above the noise,
and that is why even with low Sig or poor BER if it can see enough signal above the noise it will work just fine.

So this MUST be above 55,000

if it is less you will have freezing picture and jerky movement or even no picture at all.

This reading is normally between 60,000 and 64,999.
And you may still get EPG but no picture with low SNR

If you cant get it above 55.000 check your cable feed,
with another box if poss
make sure there is no physical damage to the cable flattening or cuts, if there is change it and try again

If you havent had it working on this feed you may have an *attenuator in your wall box or cable wire
Remember just because your cable modem works does not mean your DBox will

cheers

sorry about the lecture ill stop now

cheers

when on a channel press red and then blue quite fast

cheers

loady said:
@Liam.....My sagem modem had to be pulled, no wire to unclip from board.

I swear you're blind m8 lol... unless my memory isnt serving me correctly! Theres a ribbon cable type thing which you can pull from the board... im almost certain of it! But people are free to tell me i'm wrong lol.

I am with you liam, seen inside a lot of sagems and never seen one with different modem, allways small board above mainboard with ribbon.

strange seems settled

strange seems settled box has settled down both box seem fine wonder if there was work on the system in this area well ill hold back on modem for now if problem returns out the modem will come , thanks every 1 for the imfo..:Cheers:

Back