Guide to setting Neutrino.DREAM+ 1106Z for uk cable on dreambox

Satchmo

Inactive User
Reaction score
Quick guide to getting the Neutrino.DREAM image running on a Dreambox DM500-c

This guide assumes you already have a Neutrino.DREAM+ image with cable support.
I've based this guide on the Neutrino.DREAM+ 1106Z Image.
And you have already connected the dreambox to the PC/Laptop via ethernet cable (Patch or X Over).
You should also install a ftp client such as CuteFTP.

Make sure you have the following files, are included with this guide.:

cables.xml
zapit
Autoupdate.Key
the 6 nagra rom bins eg. nagraepr10.bin

and addon_mgcamd.bin which should have been included with the original Image.

Firstly you need to download FlashWizzard PRO from the following website:
http://www.satnews.it/ricevitori/dreambox/flashwizard/index.shtml
Now unzip the files (I put mine in a folder on my desktop for easy access).

Next we need to Setup your PC's network:

Goto Control Panel then Network Connections.
Find the connection which your Dreambox is connected to, right click on it then goto properties.
Now click on Internet Protocol TCP/IP and then properties.
Now put 192.168.0.4 as your IP address (or whatever you prefer, if you already know what your doing.) and 255.255.255.0 as your subnet mask.
Click OK to close the Internet Protocol TCP/IP Properties window and again to close the Network Connection Properties window.
Your network settings should now be saved.

Now you need to setup the dreambox's network.

If your using an enigma based image eg. the dreambox's original software or a Gemini image:

Press the Dream button on the remote.
Go into Setup, Expert setup then Communication Setup.
Set your IP address to 192.168.0.3 (assuming you used 192.168.0.4 for your PC's IP) and your subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
Make sure DHCP is off and Enable network in on.
Save your settings then exit.

If you already have a Neutrino based image on:
Press the Dream button.
Go into Settings then Network
Make sure DHCP is off
Set your IP address to 192.168.0.3 (assuming you used 192.168.0.4 for your PC's IP) and your subnet mask to 255.255.255.0
Now press Setup Network Now, exit, save settings now, exit then exit again.

Now to flash the dreambox.

Run flashwizzard pro.
Fom the options on the left side of the window click Configuration and Utilities.
In the Connecting parameters put 192.168.0.3 as the Dreambox IP, leave the login and password as root and dreambox unless you've changed them previously.

Next choose Install a firmware into FLASH memory from the options on the left.

Click on the folder icon and locate the image you wish to load onto the dreambox, in this case were using dm500_nplus_1106Z.img (or drag and drop the image where it says to in this window).
Choose yes when asked if your sure you want to restore the backed up image.
The dreambox's memory is now been flashed, be patent and wait until theis process is complete and interrupting may kill your box.

Once the flashing is complete and your box is rebooted you will be asked to choose the language Neutrino will use, english will probably already be selected if noe select it then press back. Also you will get a message saying you have no channels and need to do a scan.

You will now have to set up the network settings on the dreambox again, folow the instructions no how to setup the network on a neutrino based image as shown above.

Theres a few modifications we need to the image to enable it to scan UK cable, decrypt channels and AU keys.

Open your FTP client and create a connection to 192.168.0.3 using root/dreambox as the username/password.

Now browse to /var/bin and copy the zapit file that was included in this zip to the /var/bin directory.
Once the file is copied over you need to change the access rights for the file, If using CuteFTP right click on the file and choose CHMOD / Properties, Set the permissions to 755, click ok to save the changes.

Copy the following files (included with this guide) to the following directories:

Autoupdate.key - /var/keys
the 6 nagra roms - /var/scce
cables.xml /var/tuxbox/config

Browse to /tmp and copy the addon_mgcamd.bin (included with dm500_nplus_1106Z.img image) there.

Press the DREAM button on the remote goto Service, Software update. Change the Updatemode to manual (ftp) now search for update.
You should see addon_mgcamd.bin listed move onto it and press OK, choose yes to install the camd.

When it's finished installing reboot the box.

Now we need to do a scan.

Press dreambox on the remote.
Goto Service then Service scan.
Change cable provider to CableUK Sym6952 or CableUK Sym6887 depending on the symbol rate used in your area.

Change scan mode to Full
Turn manual scan off and start scan.

When the scan is finished go back into the Service menu and choose Reload channel lists.
Go into the Bouquet editor and use the red button to delete all the bouquets, when done exit the screen and save when asked.

You should now have all your channels but only the freeview ones are viewable.

Press dream then goto Addons, choose Mgcamd settings and turn Autoupdate on, save settings.
Now chhose mgcamd as the camd and Restart the camd.

If all's gone right in a few seconds your channels should clear :)

And your finished. Well done.

You can now rearrange your channels by using the Bopuquet editor in the service menu. Create a new bouquet then Add channels.

(Files in Download Section)

Really great detailed guide.

Just need to back up the image now :)

Great tried this took just over 30 minutes to get this working I love this image. the only problem I have is that my time is an hour ahead and can't find any setting to do with time I must be missing an option. If anyone knows how to change the time it would be great please let me know.

Found out the below
can see that it is set to CET-1CEST,M3......... (Under driver abd boot options) Is there a way to get this to GMT? so it is currently set to Central European Time.

working fine now thanks to Lee :)

Last edited:
quality detailed instructions satchmo. up and running now. much better layout than the gemini images and better epg.

thanks for it as i wanted a neutrino image since i got my dreambox!

yip mine was an hour fast aswell.

i went into the settings where it said all of that shite. deleted it by pressing yellow then typed in

GMTGreenwichMeanTime

(take note of the capitals and no spaces)

and it worked. hope this works for you

Last edited:
If anybody actually manages to create an image for neutrino, please post it asap, as i'd like to have a play around with it.

What exactly makes it better than the gemini image?
I was under the belief that the gemini image was the most stable, that's why i've not changed! i just updated the Emu to the new evocamd on gemini 2.40, and haven't had any problems.

Satchmo said:
i just updated the Emu to the new evocamd on gemini 2.40, and haven't had any problems.

Anychance you can provide a little more info, I am running 1.05 but want to up to 2.40, as these images are released with no cam a small pointer would be helpful if you have the time.

Satchmo said:
Copy the following files (included with this guide) to the following directories:

Autoupdate.key - /var/keys
the 6 nagra roms - /var/scce
cables.xml /var/tuxbox/config

Have been able to all this EXCEPT the the 6 nagra roms - /var/scce

I get 'file transfer failed' using Smart FTP and the directory simply hangs if browsing via XP, assume it's a permissions issue, anyone help out, what FTP client are you guys using?

Problem solved, I had not restarted the box so the ftp permissions must have been wrong.

Also I had to have the Dreambox attached to my TV and computer for the
Satchmo said:
Browse to /tmp and copy the addon_mgcamd.bin (included with dm500_nplus_1106Z.img image) there.

As my PC & TV are in different places I kept 'losing' the addon_mgcamd.bin file
Satchmo said:
Goto Service then Service scan.
Change cable provider to CableUK Sym6952 or CableUK Sym6887 depending on the symbol rate used in your area.

Change scan mode to Full
Turn manual scan off and start scan.

Takes about 20 minutes and looks like not much is happening (compared to manual scan on a Gemini Image)
Satchmo said:
If all's gone right in a few seconds your channels should clear

And your finished. Well done.

Thanks in total to the wonderful guide Satchmo put together......

Last edited:
dreambox

hi i have flashed my dreambox and got it working with channels but i have 2 problems. firstly my time is 1 hour ahead and secondly i cant access the menu and therefore cant add my own boquet.... has any 1 had this problem and if yeh how did they deal wit it??

if you did all in the post of satcho you should be able to access the menue. did you change the permission to 755 in the zapit file. as for time read post number 3 in this thread

thanks for the guide works a treat anyone know if ppv should be on?

twitcher said:
thanks for the guide works a treat anyone know if ppv should be on?

Depends on yer area twitcher, most have now gone to VOD (you may still get the Frontrow info channel) but not the actual movies.

Satchmo said:
If anybody actually manages to create an image for neutrino, please post it asap, as i'd like to have a play around with it.

Was planning on doing this today but Windows 'Bloody' Update caused a BSOD that I cannot sort till I get my hands on my XP disc so hopefully will get it up tommorow.

anyone know how or if you can stop the time from showing on mine seems to always be on

Press the menu button and then the red button (TV-Mode) that turns the time on and off

Neutrino image

Satchmo,
brilliant work on the Neutrino image. Works a treat and gives me the movie channels I could not get with the Gemini one.
Nice one once again.

regards

Ian

Neutrino In Ireland

Tried to use Gemini 1.05 and then 2.40. Because them images have no cam set, i had to try to bring the box up using NEUTRINO. Everything went fine until i reached the last step-scanning channels. I know the freq. (0275/0363 symb-6887) but the box will bring up no channels. If anyone can help with some advices on how to type in the freq. or if neutrino is only for uk freq. it will be very appreciated.Thank's!

silviano said:
Tried to use Gemini 1.05 and then 2.40. Because them images have no cam set

The 1.05 does have the evocamd 55 ?? Where did you get it from?

As for the Neutrino image select UK-Cable-6887 and do an 'Automatic' scan the Neutrino image seems to be funny (as compared to Gemini) doing Manual Scans...

To correct for UK time, telnet in

vi /var/etc/profile

and change the timezone setting to

export TZ=GMT-0BST,M3.5.0/2,M10.5.0/

You'll see this reflected in the interface after a reboot (You could of course use the interface and type in that string starting with GMT...)

Back