Gretna

MFCGMFC

Inactive User
Reaction score
hey all

was at the Gretna game tonight and it was heart wrenching watching those players who are now most likely out of a job and my mate the groundsman just wanna say

Good Luck in your new job mate, build that bloody road right!!

it would be great if someone would buy them but whos gonna willingly take on all that debt?

it was nice while it lasted :)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Its always sad to see any club go down like that. All the best to your m8 though and the players, its not their fault.

Its always sad to see any club go down like that. All the best to your m8 though and the players, its not their fault.

another thing is it could have been Motherwell :( the look on those poor folks faces spoke a thousand words

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Had £10 on Gretna at 5/1, they had to beat Hearts on possibly their very last game ever.

And it could have happened to a number of Scottish clubs in the past few years, Falkirk and Hibs spring to mind in the top flight and look at Airdrie....

Had £10 on Gretna at 5/1, they had to beat Hearts on possibly their very last game ever.

And it could have happened to a number of Scottish clubs in the past few years, Falkirk and Hibs spring to mind in the top flight and look at Airdrie....

hearts could soon follow suit they are in upwards of 40 million in debt

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Shame the way gretna have suffered.. Feel sorry for the staff, all the hard work down the pan..

Dont you think though its about time there should be a British super league.. Not saying lose the spl or the epl but something where all teams in uk play together..this may help pump some money into the spl..

Anyway good luck Gretna staff

hope somebody bails them out but fear the worse.
well at least it let some player live the dream for a short time
wish them all the best of luck whatever happens.

I hope they go under, they shouldn't have been allowed in to the league at all, the population of the town could never sustain a professional football team, we need teams that will add something and be there for the long haul, obviously I feel for the players but it happens to people in all walks of life.

I hope they go under, they shouldn't have been allowed in to the league at all, the population of the town could never sustain a professional football team, we need teams that will add something and be there for the long haul, obviously I feel for the players but it happens to people in all walks of life.

its not the players fault its Mr Mileson and the directors who could be to blame they are under investigation and will be held liable for the debt if its found out that they let the club trade when it shouldn't have been trading

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

They were punching well above their weight due to Mr Milesons millions. To be honest i dont blame Mileson spending his cash on Gretna (its up to him where he wants to waste his cash) but surely someone as financially astute as him should have has a back up plan in place to make sure the club could continue in some shape or form.

Anyway, no matter the size of thier crowds or if the bought their way to the SPL - the truth is they earned the right to play SPL football cos the won the league fairly and squarely, albeit with more cash to spend then anyone else.

MFCGAVMFC - Now that my team are promoted, i take it you are looking forward to a Lanarkshire derby? Hope you get that pitch of yours sorted before we come to FP cos we can only play silky sexy football :)

its not the players fault its Mr Mileson and the directors who could be to blame they are under investigation and will be held liable for the debt if its found out that they let the club trade when it shouldn't have been trading

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

I agree, but its also the SPL's fault. Ground sharing should never be allowed.

Falkirk were denied top flight football because of their ground, Dundee had to erect two new stands before they could play top flight football.

Why on earth they changed their mind to and let inverness play at pittodrie and Gretna play at Motherwell was beyond me?

Ok at least Inverness started work on they're ground, Gretna's park/stadium is still in the same knick as the way they left it a season ago.

You would think that the penny might have dropped with the SPL cheifs that Gretna had no money when no effort has been made to start work on new stands at Raydale?

Junior/Non- league clubs in Scotland have better grounds than Gretna?

No-one will buy Gretna, they are a poorley supported club and more importantly a money losing club.

The fairy tale is over, but I also feel sorry for the players?

I agree, but its also the SPL's fault. Ground sharing should never be allowed.

Falkirk were denied top flight football because of their ground, Dundee had to erect two new stands before they could play top flight football.

Why on earth they changed their mind to and let inverness play at pittodrie and Gretna play at Motherwell was beyond me?

Ok at least Inverness started work on they're ground, Gretna's park/stadium is still in the same knick as the way they left it a season ago.

You would think that the penny might have dropped with the SPL cheifs that Gretna had no money when no effort has been made to start work on new stands at Raydale?

Junior/Non- league clubs in Scotland have better grounds than Gretna?

No-one will buy Gretna, they are a poorley supported club and more importantly a money losing club.

The fairy tale is over, but I also feel sorry for the players?

Yes thats right about Falkirk etc not being allowed to go up because of thier stadiums - twice it happened to them. How the goal posts have been moved over the years.

The dream is well and truly over now and in its place is a complete and utter shambles of a situation with Gretna on the brink of folding. Having said that, Dundee, Motherwell and Livingston have all been on the verge of collapse in the past few years. I wonder who will be next.

Yes thats right about Falkirk etc not being allowed to go up because of thier stadiums - twice it happened to them. How the goal posts have been moved over the years.

The dream is well and truly over now and in its place is a complete and utter shambles of a situation with Gretna on the brink of folding. Having said that, Dundee, Motherwell and Livingston have all been on the verge of collapse in the past few years. I wonder who will be next.

i would take a guess at hearts being next £40 million + in debt no spl club could sustain that

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Last-gasp offer could save Gretna

Gretna FC chairman Ron McGregor has told BBC Sport a late bid is set to be tabled to buy the ailing SPL club.

One of four consortiums listed by the administrators last week are set to come in with a cash offer by this weekend's deadline.

"I think there is certainly a chink of light," McGregor said said.

"We know there is a bidder putting in a very serious, considered bid together and that should be launched by the closing date."

McGregor was speaking after watching Gretna defeat Hearts in their last SPL game of the season.

He said the club are set for a visit from administrators towards the end of this week and any bids would have to go through a number of processes.

"We now have a creditors' committee who would have to have a look at that, with the recommendation for the administrator," McGregor added:

"So we are not regarding this as pulling down the curtain and turning off the lights."

Feel sorry for the players and staff,but at least they managed a win before they leave the league:banana:

unfortunatley the SPL and SFL is very poor,take away Celtic and Rangers poss Aberdeen as well and the rest would not make in the championship even possibly the 1st Div. I think that by creating the SPL and the SFL was a poor decision.The teams in the SFL are amateur clubs with poor support and it amazes me how they survive.

Maybe the should revert back to two divisions as watching the a Rangers-Celtic match 4/5 times a season I imagine would be pretty boring and the same in the SFL 3rd Div what a nightmare.

If we amalgamated the SFL and SPL into the English leagues how well do you think the Scottish teams would do?

You just need to look at the support the old firm have, every home game is more or less a sell out and if we were playing teams like Man U, Chelsea, Liverppol Arsenal etc then the gates would burst at the seems!

With the huge support and constant sellout of games - not to mention the huge amount of cash involved in the EPL) I reckon Celtic and Rangers would easily reach the pinnacle of the Premiere league within a few seasons.

Look at Rangers, UEFA cup final and they were runners up in the SPL, exactly how much money did they earn from coming second in the SPL? - now compare that to coming LAST in the Premiership!

Also, look at the Rangers opposition tonight, just how many millions were spent putting that team together, they had money to burn, Rangers had fook all except the money they earned from their fans at the gates.

I'm a Celtic fan BTW.

i think from 3rd place down would be mid table finishes in the div1 down south mabye us hearts hibs aberdeen and poss falkirk would be kinda yoyo teams between div1 and the championship

Rangers and Celtic would be yoyo teams between the premiership and the championship until they were consistently getting them same amount of money from the league etc as mabye newcastle/bolton etc

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Administrators for Gretna have laid off their remaining 40 staff although they say they are still negotiating with an interested buyer.

The staff members were notified of the the development at a meeting in a hotel in the Dumfriesshire town.

Wilson Field had set a deadline of midday on Saturday for interested buyers to table offers.

No rescue deal has been concluded, although they say they are still in talks with a potential buyer.

No new deadline has been determined for any takeover bids.

Gretna were placed into administration in March after the Border club's owner Brooks Mileson withdrew his financial support.

The 10-point deduction effectively relegated the club, and many of the first team squad were released from their contracts as wages went unpaid.

There were fears the club would be unable to complete its Scottish Premier League fixture schedule.

However, the SPL stepped in to offer a rescue package and ensure staff would receive payment until the end of the season.

A number of consortiums have been reported to be interested in taking over the club which has debts of around £4m.

And after the team's victory in their last match against Hearts, chairman Ron McGregor said he was optimisitc that a buyer would make a concrete cash offer.

If Gretna fail to find a backer, the losers of the Scottish Football League play-off finals will be promoted, and another club will be admitted to the SFL in the Third Division.

Gretna given week to find rescuer or face expulsion from Division Three

CRISIS stricken Gretna will start next season in Division Three - if the club can find a buyer to rescue it from going out of business in the next week.

The side, currently in administration, was relegated from the SPL last season and has shed all its staff.

And the Scottish Football League today told Gretna they had a week in which to secure a rescue package of be expelled from the league altogether.

An offer from football agent Paul Davies has been made for the club, which is currently under consideration, but should the club be saved it will have to start next season in the lowest tier of league football again.

It represents a massive drop for the crisis club, which went into administration in March, and offers promotion lifelines to Airdrie United - who will step up to Division One - and Stranraer, who move up to Division Two.

SFL chief executive David Longmuir said Gretna's administrators had not been able to guarantee the club would be able to fulfil its fixtures.

"We and the SFL had to make sure we protected the integrity of our league,"

"There was no commitment from the administrator that Gretna could fulfil the fixtures at all in the coming season, which means we had to do what we thought was right for our league."

Any takeover of the club has to be completed by early next week or other sides will be invited to replace them in Division Three.

Back