@ greethunder chichild tank questions.

sargie

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So i don't hijack rat's thread any further :) i thought i would start a seperate thread.

What species of chichild do you think would be ok in a 125 litre tank? How many should i get and what type of rock do you use and what substrate?

Cheers :)

Hi there, I use ocean rock and crushed coral for my substrate along with 3x Fluval 305's running to keep it nice and clean along with a 300w heater a wave maker to break up surface collection and an air tube constantly blowing bubbles/air into the tank for better O2. Fish choice is personal tbh and the amount I'd say is about 15-20 fish but try and over stock them a little as this keeps aggression down as they are very territorial. Choice of Malawi is endless mbuna, haps again personal choice.Also, I don't feed them 2 days out the week to keep water quality good too. When I feed them I give them New era pellets and prawns.

Hi there, I use ocean rock and crushed coral for my substrate along with 3x Fluval 305's running to keep it nice and clean along with a 300w heater a wave maker to break up surface collection and an air tube constantly blowing bubbles/air into the tank for better O2. Fish choice is personal tbh and the amount I'd say is about 15-20 fish but try and over stock them a little as this keeps aggression down as they are very territorial. Choice of Malawi is endless mbuna, haps again personal choice.Also, I don't feed them 2 days out the week to keep water quality good too. When I feed them I give them New era pellets and prawns.

Ive got a large external filter that is 1500 litre one so filteration should be ok got a heater in there 200w i think could be less i know it was suitable for the tank size when i bought it. The filter has a surface sprayer arm on it so that should do the job of breaking the surface up i would just need an o2 pump adding in.

Ill get the substrate and rock next and go from there.

How you getting on with this mate ?

:)

How you getting on with this mate ?

:)

I didn't go cichlid in the end m8 as it sounded like i would have trouble with aggression in a small tank most forums recommend 55g and up. I could have had a Lake Tanganyikan setup with shell dwellers and such but it was not what i wanted. Im currently stocking the aquarium as a tropical community with plants and as a compromise im having a pair of german blue rams which are a dwarf cihlid species as my showcase fish.

Im sure i mentioned this to you on msn m8 and you asked me to post pics? Anyway ill get some up soon for peeps to see.

Ive just added a pair of Ram Dwarf Cichlid's :)
Ive not done much homework on Cichlid's as I never thought Id be adding any to my community tank, didnt think they went together

after seeing these fish in Maidenhead aquatics I spoke to the guy and asked where they were, he explained in great detail what they were and he asked what fish I had aready and what my water readings were etc and said they would be and should do fine, I told him that I was taking all his advice as I knew nothing about these fish (comparability with my fish+water)

after doing a little reading just now dwarf Cichlid should be OK in my tank :)

just thought Id post and get greenthunders advice on this ?

Ive just added a pair of Ram Dwarf Cichlid's :)
Ive not done much homework on Cichlid's as I never thought Id be adding any to my community tank, didnt think they went together

after seeing these fish in Maidenhead aquatics I spoke to the guy and asked where they were, he explained in great detail what they were and he asked what fish I had aready and what my water readings were etc and said they would be and should do fine, I told him that I was taking all his advice as I knew nothing about these fish (comparability with my fish+water)

after doing a little reading just now dwarf Cichlid should be OK in my tank :)

just thought Id post and get greenthunders advice on this ?

Hi mate, everything should be OK by adding the Dwarf Cichlid as I had one of these in a tank too with nearly the same kind of fish you have atm and maybe stick in 3 to keep them in a shoal and keep any aggression down too

Last edited:
would that be aggresion between the 2 Cichlid or them and my other fish mate ?

the Cichlid are male- female btw :)

I can see why you went for a Cichlid tank mate

Ive got a male and female pair in my community i got them from my local maidenhead aquatics too. Very peace full fish do well in a community they don't grow very big and are stunning to see. They recommend getting 4 or 6 to start with and let them pair off as they are hard to sex but i was able to vent the 2 i got amongst other tell tale signs.

would that be aggresion between the 2 Cichlid or them and my other fish mate ?

the Cichlid are male- female btw :)

I can see why you went for a Cichlid tank mate

Just between them as Sargie says they pair off quite easily and once paired they're fine.

what ones you got Matt ? Ram's ?
the female has a rosy reddish blotch under her belly and is slightly smaller
so Ive read, mine is like this too

Back