Hardware Graphic card issue?

melttc

DW Regular
Reaction score
Hi Guys

My daughter's PC developed a fault of two stripe like lines on the monitor about 2 inch wide, At first i thought the monitor had gone but tried another one and still the same.
I then thought of the graphic card as the PC started to boot but would freeze and id get a loop of trying to fix ect But in the end i had to do a clean install as i thought it was corrupted win 10. After clean install it is ok until it starts to update drivers I think.
Anyway i have no taken the card out and put the onboard graphics on and pc is working fine ,Is there anyway of diagnosing or fixing the Graphic cards? It is an Xfx Radeon 7850 860 Mhz 2gb Ddr 5

Thanks

Seems like the windows update to the graphic card driver is the issue.
Set windows update to prompt you before downloading and installing, instead of it happening in the background. You could revert back to the card then ignore the update. Check card manufacturer's web site for any known issues with windows updates.

Hi

No I think the GPU has gone bad , Just watched a YouTube video of near the same thing.

I may be able to re do the thermal paste and if that doesn't fix it's a re ball.

I may end up getting a new graphic card if it's costly.

Thanks.

Try a heat gun over the gpu, I do the oven trick with the laptop gpu every 6 months or so :), worth a try.

Try booting into your BIOS and see if you still have the lines ?

This will tell you if it's a Driver problem or not

Slap some new past on the GPU and give the fans a clean and clean the PCI Express socket

Last thing to try but Worth a shot

Could be a mad memory or dry joint , use some no clean flux and head it up with a hot airgun on setting 1 for about 90 seconds using circular motion , about 2 inches off the memory blocks

Same for the CPU on the GPU ext

Last edited:
Try booting into your BIOS and see if you still have the lines ?

This will tell you if it's a Driver problem or not

Slap some new past on the GPU and give the fans a clean and clean the PCI Express socket

Last thing to try but Worth a shot

Could be a mad memory or dry joint , use some no clean flux and head it up with a hot airgun on setting 1 for about 90 seconds using circular motion , about 2 inches off the memory blocks

Same for the CPU on the GPU ext
Sounds scary!!

Back