Grand National

Bumblefoot

Inactive User
Reaction score
Well this Sat 14th April sees the running of the annual Grand National at Aintree Racecourse in Liverpool, currently it's tipping it down with rain and the going is currently soft, the only dry day expected before Saturday is Wednesday, so if you're having a bet look for horses that love soft/heavy going, a few that come to mind are:

Giles Cross, According To Pete, Le Beau Bai, Synchronised, Cappa Bleu

Good luck if having a bet

I'll be there. Not into the horses too much, like the odd flutter on the big races, but it's a good day out. Looking forward to it. Travelling down on Friday, but come rain or shine, we've always had a good day!

I'll be there. Not into the horses too much, like the odd flutter on the big races, but it's a good day out. Looking forward to it. Travelling down on Friday, but come rain or shine, we've always had a good day!
went last yr on the sat.. first time av been. best day out in yrs. enjoy your day mate and bring ya wellies just in case lol

Been nice today here and then about 8pm piddled it down for a bit. On and off really!

I'm looking at Killyglen, According to Pete, planet of sound & rare bob.. Had an early bet on treacle already

Ok the grounds been drying out but they expect it to be Good to Soft, I'm gonna stick my neck out with these 4: Killyglen - was going well and making up a lot of ground when it fell 4 fences out last year, Ballabriggs - Backed it last year and even if it doesn't win again so long as it stays out of trouble should at least place, he obviously gets the trip, According To Pete - backed it twice this year and it won on both occasions, should get the trip but needs a little more cut in the ground but at 40/1 I'll take a chance, Treacle - trainer has supposedly aimed it for the race, plus Pricewise in the Racing Post tipped it ages ago, good luck if having a flutter

RIP Synchronised and the rest. More of a Football man myself but seeing the race unfold was hard to take as an animal lover.

Hear Hear phezo, hate to see racehorses breaking legs etc especially if you see them still trying to run, really tugs at the heart strings but no sport is injury free

Forgetting my couple of wins, that was one of the best weekends (Friday to Sunday) I've had in ages! Winning was a bonus! Great food, great company, plenty of beer. Had a laugh 'til I cried!! Fantastic. Roll on next year!!! :)

yes but if you break your leg in any other sport you dont get shot in the head.

True but a horse needs to stand with it's half ton weight evenly distributed across all 4 legs, you cannot suspend or sedate a racehorse for the 12 - 16 weeks it would take to heal and there's no guarantee that the surgery would be successful. Footballers are dying on the pitch, there's no outcry to ban football though

True but a horse needs to stand with it's half ton weight evenly distributed across all 4 legs, you cannot suspend or sedate a racehorse for the 12 - 16 weeks it would take to heal and there's no guarantee that the surgery would be successful. Footballers are dying on the pitch, there's no outcry to ban football though

Footballers choose, horses don't.

One final point...

...I have NEVER supported this apology for a sport. Synchronised should never have been run. It was too soon after its last race, it didn't look right or sound. A world-class jockey falls off after a minor spook? Yeah, right. Jockey's can't call whether they should ride or not but if the horse bolts and the vets notice, it might get withdrawn...

...then there's all this bull about horses must enjoy it because they continue to jump even after the jockey has fallen off.

What a load of crap - they keep running because that's all they know, end of. Same as they don't 'load' well if they're scared of lorries.

As usual, money talks, end of rant...

Back