Govt owns up: only £230 spend on St George's Day

digidude

Sheep worrier.
VIP Member
Reaction score
LONDON (AFP) - A minister has admitted that the government spent a mere 230 pounds promoting St George's Day over the last five years.
(Advertisement)

Culture Minister Margaret Hodge confessed that her department spent 116 pounds on promoting England's national day this year, two pounds more than in 2007 -- and absolutely nothing in the previous three years.

The admission provoked outrage from at least one patriotic member of parliament.

"I think it is a shameful indictment and it needs to be changed," said deputy Andrew Rosindell, who is chairman of parliament's all-party Saint George's Day Group.

"We must be the only country in the world that spends nothing or virtually nothing on celebrating its national day. It is a great pity.

"I was expecting it to be low but not that low. Other countries in the world such as Australia and the United States spend a lot of time and effort in promoting their national days and we should be doing more.

"There needs to be a change in the culture of government in the way it approaches something like this."

Saint George's Day, which falls on April 23, is an annual non-event in England.

It is generally punctuated by breweries trying to cash in and promote a party atmosphere; left-wingers saying that patriotism should be reclaimed from the racists; a variety of English eccentrics; and everyday folk wondering why the English just don't seem to bother.

The fact that Saint George's Day is not a public holiday only adds to the general lack of interest.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080611/tpl-lifestyle-britain-culture-politics-o-5b839a9.html

LOL National days cost the industry money so why would we want to celebrate that?

Also the point about reclaiming patriotism from the nationalists is going to be very difficult.

Anyway the British are reserved, do we really need to shout out that we are British like the Americans and all that 'USA USA USA' crap?

well, I celebrate St Andrews day and St Paddys day but I dont really do anything for St Georges day, which is a bit of a shame.

LOL National days cost the industry money so why would we want to celebrate that?

Also the point about reclaiming patriotism from the nationalists is going to be very difficult.

Anyway the British are reserved, do we really need to shout out that we are British like the Americans and all that 'USA USA USA' crap?

i think each country should celebrate their national day

on St Andrews day i watch braveheart at least 3 times

i don't celebrate any other countries day cause i'm Scottish, probably if i had family from Ireland or wales i would celebrate those days aswell

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

i'm with you Gav, every country should celebrate its own national day and have it as a national day of.

well, I am english and dont really celebrate St Georges day, but I do the rest. Not because I dont like being english, more along the lines of nothing ever really happens for it.

I dont think we should have each of the days off as a national holiday either, I think we should have one day off for all of us, a UK day or something..

i signed up on the goverment board to make St George a national holiday, i got a email back with the following link on it

http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page15522.asp

What a load of crap.. how can we go to these supposed days out when we have to work.. ??

And how the hell are we supposed to know about it if we dont get told..?? what am i supposed to do visit the relavant sites to keep informed..,?? piss off..

At the end of the day.. england isnt a country.. we dont have the same rights as the left and up above..

We should have our own seperate govt away from the stuck up posh twats in london..

Scotland, wales and ni only get what they want because they are the ones decideing on what they want..

Piss off brown you communist twart

Is it not illegal to celebrate our countrys natioanl day to being politically correct.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA probly will be soon

It is illegal in places to celebrate our our national day.

I remember it happening around the country a couple of years ago, people were ordered to take down their flags because it was classed as provoking racism and unrest against the foreign communities in the area.

Not sure of the exact details but it did happen.

Total fucking joke, I just live my normal life now, **** the government and the country, I gave up on that shit a long time ago.

We have less rights than immigrants, they even have their own communities where we are basically barred from entering, never mind them being able to celebrate their beliefs in our own country, AND AMONGST US WHNEVER AND WHEREVER THE **** THEY WANT!!!

So for me, **** any national day this country ever had, it is now none existent as we are a multi national, multi racial country, which I do not mind personally, but I do mind the fact that other nationals have more rights than we do in our own fucking country!!!!

where is it illegal? AFAIK it is only illegal to fly the union flag on an upright pole, or to fly some of the ensigns, but I can say that I have never heard it is illegal to celebrate a national day like this.

I also recall a news report from a few years back where people were asked to take down their flags, not because it was illegal to fly them, but becuase of some stupid law that says you are not allowed to fly a union flag on a completely vertical pole without permission from somewhere.

As I said before, it would be nice if we all had a day to celebrate as the UK, right in the middle of the summer etc. Call it UK Day or something.

it brings some small shame to this country that we no longer even remember such things as this let alone the government seeks to avoid reminding us.

in 1970 i started school in a small village in dorset, in the way to school i could stop at the local sweet shop and spend 5 pence on a huge bag of sweets. we had a 300 year old church attached to the school and we would go there every morning and sit through a serman. Then have assembly where we would also say our prayers.
At christmas, easter and other times of the year we would celebrate in what i would say was the normal fashion, harvest festival we would stack piles of food in the church blah blah blah.
Now in my early forties i have a 3 year old at nursery, i am told she cannot have a nativity play because it may upset non christians! she cannot bring in any kind of food to share on her birthday ect without permission and it must meet certain criteria. i.e multiculteral.
I ask myself am i racist? well my wife is an indian, my daughter is about as multiculteral as they come. Why then must we now live our life in such a way as to appear to offend no one.
I must confess i feel so let down by this country it is hard to believe, we have torrorism runing rife, people forming plots left right and centre. Many residents of this country live in fear of venturing out at night, young people dying all around us, and PC policies that do nothing but make one feel a stranger in ones own country.
We are the lower class of Europe, we give out free health care to all comers. people from europe can come here to work and claim tax credits in vaste ammounts for children living in another european country at rates determined by the cost of living here. Our tax system rewards couples who live apart and have children "This actually encourages parents to beak up", am i old or outdated or both? is it only me that see's what a nightmare the future as brought to this country, members of my family have died in all the major conflicts this country has faced. i have worked all my life and paid my dues, when i ask is enough enough??
energy costs killing is, housing costs cripling us, council tax the mother goose of all fook ups. no more in this country is it even possible to become middle class, most now settle for getting by or drawing huge amounts from our benefits system and topping it up by working on the side ( a practice that can only further damage the country). i run a 2litre ford mondeo, the government would have me believe it is more damaging than the 6.5 ton lorry we have at work why else is it that my car tax is nearly £100 more each year?.
Where do decent god fearing citizens find thereself now? they find there self looking for a way out of this country, where then will this country end up in 50 years time, afterall its only taken 30 odd years to bring it as far down as it is now. biggest national event we have now is the bloody world cup ffs and lets face it that has become sort of a European joke at our expense.

tbc

Last edited:
Of course it's illegal, we all know it's illegal to do anything patriotic in this country.

It will soon be illegal to speak English in this country.
right, so just to point out then, its not actually illegal to celebrate a national day in the UK?

After all, I remember that St Andrews and St Patricks day were both celebrated up in Scotland last year.

one rule for them and one for us !!

e.g chad has very similar effects as speed and tons of the the stuff are improted to this country and consumed every week ,in most other countrys its illegal but are GOV has decieded that because its only consumed by a minorty group (samlions mainly) not to make illegal.

So does that mean if only the irish smoked crack it wouldnt be illegal.........

one rule for them and one for us !!

e.g chad has very similar effects as speed and tons of the the stuff are improted to this country and consumed every week ,in most other countrys its illegal but are GOV has decieded that because its only consumed by a minorty group (samlions mainly) not to make illegal.

So does that mean if only the irish smoked crack it wouldnt be illegal.........
what are you talking about?

Back