Got this email today!

You'd hope so, but is 12 months going to make 20% difference in fuel consumption?

true, but didnt Ken Livingstone order london buses to run on LPG last year? Also, I notice a lot of emergency vehicles, like ambulances and police cars in Edinburgh now also use LPG and Biodiesel. Maybe a sharp uptake has demanded this reduction?

A source of LPG is still a crude distillation though.

I know its cheaper (less tax) and burns cleaner than both petrol and diesel, but despite its high octane rating (108 RON) it is less efficient for use in an internal combustion than petrol and diesel. However, due to the lower fuel duty it enjoys it works out cheaper.

IMHO bio-fuels (bio-diesel and grain alcohols) are the way forward for the short to medium term, but we lack the distribution network. Fuel companies aren't going to fund it whilst people are still buying traditional fuels. But I cannot see the government being willing to pay for it after they (part) funded the cable network that virgin now own and exclusively run on.

Last edited:
A source of LPG is still a crude distillation though.

I know its cheaper (less tax) and burns cleaner than both petrol and diesel, but despite its high octane rating (108 RON) it is less efficient for use in an internal combustion than petrol and diesel. However, due to the lower fuel duty it enjoys it works out cheaper.

IMHO bio-fuels (bio-diesel and grain alcohols) are the way forward for the short to medium term, but we lack the distribution network. Fuel companies aren't going to fund it whilst people are still buying traditional fuels. But I cannot see the government being willing to pay for it after they (part) funded the cable network that virgin now own and exclusively run on.
i agree whole heartedly.

the problem with the idea of 69p ltr is the duty
is more than that so how r the oil/petrol companys going to lower it to that??
what we should all do is lobby the government
and get them to lower the duty
so that the petrol prices come back to the level that the government bufgeted for at the begining of the tax yr
meaning we get cheaper fuel and the government still get the taxs/duty that they wanted
who wins we all do
us because the fuel price drops and the government because we may think a lot more of them for reducing the fuel prices

and what about when the price of oil goes up? That is something the government cannot control now.

Back