Going to US and Visa

joebow

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi..

Was arrested for a minor offence about 12 years ago...(got £75 fine)....but now I have been told by the travel agent that I need a Visa to enter the US as I have a criminal record....

I have been 7 times before with no problems...but I now have renewed my passport so cant travel on old passport with all stamps im...So dilemma is do I travel and just tick no to all on the green waiver form as i was told its a 3 month waiting list for appointment at American Embassy...So if I did apply for Visa it would not arrive in time...

Do the US have access to UK criminal records??

Im travelling to Florida with my partner & daughter....I would hate to get turned back at homeland security...

Has anyone been to the US in the past couple of months with an Arrest/Criminal record to their name and actually entered the country with no problems??

Worried Sick now as I spent nearly £4K on holiday

Cheers

Joe

joe

just spoke to my cousin (cop in new jersey)

he has told me they do link into uk data base but not usually after 10 years but he says if your stopped you will be deported on the next flight and never allowed to return

hope this helps

I thought they were changing the system so that all British citizens have to complete a visa-waiver online at least 14 days before travel to the US so that records can be checked etc.

Not sure when this is supposed to come into effect though !

its a joke the yanks can come hare and do and stay as long as the like and we cant!!!!!!!!!!!!

so much for the special uk / us relationship that brown / bush keep going on about

I'd guess its probably because half the worlds dictators and a goodly proportion of the terrorists leaders have suffered a UK "education" at some time.

The US sees an awful lot of todays world problems as being a direct result of previous British foreign policy. Strange really when us Brits tend to blame the present US policies for most of the worlds ailments

I've heard of a few people that have gone over there with criminal records and ticked no in all the boxes and got away with it. I don't know how great a risk it is though!

You should be fine mate, only reason they would revoke visa is for serious criminal offences (murder, rape, armed robbery) or drug offences. Any sort of drug offence on your record, and you aint getting a visa.

Its not just the US that incorporates this type of procedure these days. Australia, Japan, New Zealand and others have all adopted this system.

Speak to the US embassy in London or Belfast mate. It wouldn't be worth getting deported because you have chosen to ignore advice from a travel agent.

Chances are they will issue a visa or tell you that you will be ok without one? Make sure you get that in writing?

As Allroad has said, once you are deported, you cant ever return to the USA.

You'll have no problem getting into the US. If you are concerned and think you have a serious record pop into your local nick to find out.

I think it is major convictions or anything drug/terror related that you have to worry about.

Back