Going to America - Bring back PS3??

crazy

Member ++
Reaction score
I know there cheaper over there but how do you go about bringing them back without customs jumping all over you?

And if they did what would they do?

Crazy

Buy it, throw the box away - the warranty will be for North America anyway - pack in with the lugauge.

If you take it through the green channel and get caught its import vat, customs duty and a fine.

If you declare it (red channel) you'll 'just' pay import vat and customs duty.

Quick check on google for rates are vauge. But suggests customs duty is 10%, with the standard 17.5% VAT rate on top. Using the Amazon.com price of $399 for the 40Gb model and the current exchange rate you'd pay ~£204 x 1.1 = £224.40 x 1.175 = £263.67. Which is still a saving of just over £30 or a bluray film/half a game. Of course it probably won't cost you $399 as you won't have to pay the state sales tax ;)

A few things to be aware of:
  • The US runs on 110v - you might need a stepdown transformer, although you won't know without checking the voltage range on the PS3 (if it says 100v-250v you'll be fine). Alternatively if the PS3 uses an external transformer just get a UK spec one.
  • If using the PS3 in SD it will output in NTSC, you need to check your TV is compatable - this is not a problem in HD modes i.e. HDMI.
  • Whilst the console itself is not regionalised, some games might be, and bluray discs are.

but the problem is u would have to use all ntsc games and movies

but the problem is u would have to use all ntsc games and movies

Yes thats right, well movies would be region locked, games aint. Brought 2 back from Japan, both through customs, one in suitcase other in hand luggage. I had no issues mate. But as for cheaper, I believe on this forum, there is a post for a PS3 delivered for £220.

..just buy from the uk. i paid 320 for mine 60gb with 3 games and 2 controls from costco about 4 months ago.

Back