Glow Plugs - Replace when engine is warm or cold?

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi All

My van desperately needs new plugs, last time i replaced them was over 5 years ago and one sheared when i tried to remove it so i'm basically stuck with 3 atm.

I'm concerned about another shearing even though when i fitted them i barely 'pinched' them up tight.

Whats the deal guys, will the block expand and make them easier to remove when warm/differing metals?

Cheers

I'm also interested to know. Have gone to a tonne of mechanics and none of them will touch the glow plugs cuz the type of plugs are prone to shearing.

They strike fear into all home mechanics, ive always cleaned up the recess the night before changing them and pre soaked the recess with wd40 overnight. Then replaced them cold engine. Just scrape around the recess with precision screw drivers vac out the crap and fill the recess with wd40 overnight.

Only ever shared one on a Vivaro van and they apparently are prone to it because a slam panel directs water into the glow plug recess

Think i'll do the same, i got a load of Plus Gas which is better/thinner than WD40.

Plus Gas is only Kerosene anyway, with added dye.
Never thought of soaking them overnight tbh.
Wish me luck..lol

let me know how it goes please. I must do mine.

They strike fear into all home mechanics, ive always cleaned up the recess the night before changing them and pre soaked the recess with wd40 overnight. Then replaced them cold engine. Just scrape around the recess with precision screw drivers vac out the crap and fill the recess with wd40 overnight.

Only ever shared one on a Vivaro van and they apparently are prone to it because a slam panel directs water into the glow plug recess

Do you know if Combos have the same issue. It would explain why no mechanic will touch it.

I heard its best to get the engine nice and warm ..

As when they trying to undo tight bold they head it up to loosen

This is weird, i can not get a socket long enough to fit the plug?
I have a few socket sets plus the big Halfrauds one and none will fit, they are not deep enough??

It's looks like 8mm to me (but may be 9mm)?

These are exact plugs i have, anyone know what i need? How the hell did i replace them years ago...lol

GLP016 BOSCH GLOW PLUG VAUXHALL Corsa 1.3 CDTI 05-06 [C] Z 13 DTJ 73bhp | eBay

I had a mechanic tell me to do it when engine is hot.....

Cheers

Must be a problem as mechanics won't do it...

Been informed that engine block needs to be @ 60c. (I have a temp gun)

I'll find out tomorrow...lol

Cheers

Do them when the engine is hot and i use freeze and release fluid and let it work and slowly undo them

Good Luck

Freeze and release, never heard of that ?

I have Plus Gas, GT85 and WD40.

Plus Gas is by far the best/thinnest penetrating oil, i've used it for years in heavy industry.

I squirted some on them last night on a hot engine,they all just smoked off...lol

Last edited:
Well they've been soaking overnight, plus just gave them another soaking.
I will try them cold, if i feel resistance i will try hot.
I know i did not over tighten them when i replaced them last.

I have a VW T5. The glow plugs are located hidden in the centre of the car at the least convinient position (almost). They will be cold when I get there :)

e dopo li spruzzo con uno bomboletta spray a ghiacciare solo la candeletta

Back