Giving notice at work

Here is the part of the contact regarding termination and signed on the 17/10/2017 after her probationary period. She actually started 14/09/2017:_

NOTICE OR TERMINATION TO GIVEN BY EMPLOYER

Under 1 month - NIL
1 Month up to successful completetion of your probationary period - 1 week
On successful completetion of your probationary period but less than 5 year's service - 1 month
5 years service or more - 1 week for each complteted year of service to a maximum of 12 weeks after 12 years serivce.

NOTICE OF TERMIATION TO GIVEN BY EMPLOYEE

Under 1 months service - nil
1 month to successful completetion of your probationary period - 1 week
On successful completion of probationary period - 2 months
We reserve the contractual right to give pay in lieu of all or any part of the above notice by either party.
We may make the decision to place you on paid garden leave whilst your notice is worked

She's paid monthly and the next is due Monday 28th. Should she get paid then jack or can they come and try and claim the months pay back at a later date ?. She's due back in in the morning but she's gone for a quick 1 hour induction at this new job to just run over everything see what it's like. She will have to go her now job tomorrow and Friday and hopefully they will pay her Friday with it been Bank Holiday Monday.

Last edited:
wow 2 months that is extreme. i'd sign the contract with the new company and hand in her notice. no way her current employers are going to come after her for break of contract if she leaves early.

Last edited:
Here is the part of the contact regarding termination and signed on the 17/10/2017 after her probationary period. She actually started 14/09/2017:_

NOTICE OR TERMINATION TO GIVEN BY EMPLOYER

Under 1 month - NIL
1 Month up to successful completetion of your probationary period - 1 week
On successful completetion of your probationary period but less than 5 year's service - 1 month
5 years service or more - 1 week for each complteted year of service to a maximum of 12 weeks after 12 years serivce.

NOTICE OF TERMIATION TO GIVEN BY EMPLOYEE

Under 1 months service - nil
1 month to successful completetion of your probationary period - 1 week
On successful completion of probationary period - 2 months
We reserve the contractual right to give pay in lieu of all or any part of the above notice by either party.
We may make the decision to place you on paid garden leave whilst your notice is worked

She's paid monthly and the next is due Monday 28th. Should she get paid then jack or can they come and try and claim the months pay back at a later date ?. She's due back in in the morning but she's gone for a quick 1 hour induction at this new job to just run over everything see what it's like. She will have to go her now job tomorrow and Friday and hopefully they will pay her Friday with it been Bank Holiday Monday.
Tell her to wait and get her money and then leave.According to that contract the month is up nearly and no notice is needed. Explain to the new employer the situation and that covers your wifes back then tell her new employer that she left due to unreasonal behaviour ie Florence coming back.

The missus didn't think she'd be leaving early after the best m8 of the woman who's so called coming back told her she's more than likely not gonna come back. We think the boss is trying to sort out this woman wanting 3 day a week when she comes back and doesn't want to lose out on the missus leaving is she doesn't but that's non of our concern.
The job shes currently in is a drive away and she spends anything from £40-£50 a week on juice. The new job pays about £200 a month less but for 4 days only but its liturally at the top of our street 800yard away so it kinda balances things out and less wear and tear on the car.

Been honest, we didn't read the contract, 2 months is definatly a urine take for under 12 months

Tell her to look after no 1 mate and start the new job. Any money earned in the old job and any holiday pay or money in leiu must be paid to her.
Worst case is they could piss her about by dragging their heals in issuing a p45 so it might be emergency tax for the first month or so.
Good luck.

She has an email to back up her storey, sorry story. Get one of those teachers to check your spelling Jon ;)

The email will mean nothing if she does not get a reference in the 1st place. Really its down to the 2 of you to work it out, but I would if it were me I would be have the conversation with the prospective employer asking what happen if they refuse to give a reference and show them the email. If her job is normally in the medical sector and she cannot get a refference it will flag safeguarding concerns and could really screw her up.

But as I say the decision is yours.

She's basically been given the new job, they keep asking for a start date asap. She will have to explain this to her present boss and hope he's undersatanding and doesnt turn on her cause if he does and becomes a cnut I think his products online (Amazon) and were ever will become shit overnight

She's basically been given the new job, they keep asking for a start date asap. She will have to explain this to her present boss and hope he's undersatanding and doesnt turn on her cause if he does and becomes a cnut I think his products online (Amazon) and were ever will become shit overnight
Sod him it's your Wife's life if she is not happy with the situation don't look back, look forward and think of yourselves just this once. Good luck

The wife's just text me and said the boss isn't in till Weds. She's emailed the new job and told them she can start Tuesday as she was paid today. This means no money arguments just a straight break.
It's a job opportunity she can't turn her back on and it's not often you get the chance of a job within walking distance of your own home.
If he kicks a stink I'll update the thread.

Thanks guys for all the advise we did take on board all your thoughts and point of views before making the decision , thanks

The wife's just text me and said the boss isn't in till Weds. She's emailed the new job and told them she can start Tuesday as she was paid today. This means no money arguments just a straight break.
It's a job opportunity she can't turn her back on and it's not often you get the chance of a job within walking distance of your own home.
If he kicks a stink I'll update the thread.

Thanks guys for all the advise we did take on board all your thoughts and point of views before making the decision , thanks

Best of luck in her new job m8 :)

The wife tried to phnoe the boxx but he was away "Glamping" so she emailed a letter of resignation and started her new job Tuesday. Up till today her old boss has made no contact so looks like that ones gone for good

she loves the new job plus a 5 minute walk

Orignally sent from small phone using sh!t eyes, were's the edit button gone ??

Just as a follow up, she loves her new job and a massive bonus is it's within walking distance so no more stuck on the M61 and 60 minute - 10 mile trips home. This makes a long day even longer especially when winter comes there's nothing worse

Back