Giant tigerfish with razor-sharp teeth caught by British angler

big-ron

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeremy Wade reeled in the pre-historic looking monster on a fishing expedition to the River Congo.

The goliath tigerfish is one of the most fearsome freshwater fish in the world and are said to be much bigger and deadlier versions of the piranha.

It has 32 teeth that are of similar size to those of a great white shark and has been known to attack humans and even crocodiles before.

It has only ever been caught by a handful of fishermen due to the danger it poses and the fact its habitat is notoriously hard to reach.

Mr Wade, from Bath, Somerset, took extra care when reeling in this specimen which weighed more than 100lbs and was 5ft long.

Luckily he is an experienced angler and caught the fish for the TV show River Monsters, which is due to be screened on ITV next month.

The show looks into mythical reports from around the world of humans being attacked by unknown monsters from the deep before Mr Wade sets out to find and catch the suspect.

"This fish is no tench," said Mr Wade.

"It is, for all intents and purposes, a giant piranha. It is quite a beast.

"The teeth on it are incredibly sharp and are about the same length as a great white shark.

"It also has an extremely powerful bite and has been known to consume prey the same size as itself, attack people and take pieces out of crocodiles.

"It is thought that these fish attack in a reflex response to a sudden movement or splash.

"It is very rare to catch one, especially by an outsider because they are found in such a remote and difficult location to get to. There are no guides or lodges on that part of the Congo River."

Mr Wade used a sizable catfish as bait for the tigerfish - Hydrocynus goliath in Latin - and a 200lbs rod and line.

Giant tigerfish with razor-sharp teeth caught by British angler - Telegraph

That is pretty big,

wonder if he returned it after catching it.

I watched him on discovery the other day were he caught a arapaima which is the largest river fish. And it was huge!

Last edited:
That is a mighty fish,just though i would share a pic of a fish my bro caught

it's some sort of catfish,and not sure but i think it was somewhere in spain he caught it,and yes it went back in as always

it's some sort of catfish,and not sure but i think it was somewhere in spain he caught it,and yes it went back in as always

wow! thats big, how long does it take to bring something like that in?

That is a mighty fish,just though i would share a pic of a fish my bro caught

that is what you call a proper fish.....

fair shout for catching that thing.... :Fish:

The episode of the guy catching this beast is on itv 1 now!

Watched the documentary last night, it was amazing to see how hard they were to catch on Heavy duty treble hooks 100kg wire trace and a live catfish as bait.

After two failed attempts Jeremy Wade went to see the Witch Doctor and a spell/potion was concocted out of natural items along with a message saying where to go to catch this Prehistoric Goliath Tigerfish, which is associated with the piranha.

The next day off he goes and bingo 2nd attempt he catches the elusive creature and begins the fight to land it so as to inspect it reputation up close. Once landed he gets into the water, must be mad, and starts to inspect the characteristics of why this monster has such a bad reputation.
It's teeth were like a crocodiles razor sharp edges, staggered and attached to a crushing jaw.

The specimen was found to have smashed it's skull on the rocks whilst being caught and sadly was unable to carry on it's existence any more and was accepted as a gift from god to be seen and eaten by all the members of the village.

Back