Ghostly tale's from your youth

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Reaction score
I rememeber as a wee bairn being told everytime I passed a certain tree on my way down the woods called the old mill for some reason ;) I had to hit the lowest branch with a stone or a ghost would follow me and haunt me as she had been hung from that tree, well..... Just been digging around and found some info on that tree and the tale ;)

CHESTER-LE-STREET is close to Lumley Castle, and it stands on a plain, disfigured with smoke and traces of coal workings. It has not a single object of interest but its church, which is extremely fine. Its tall taper spire is seen at a great distance, for it is a hundred and sixty feet in height. It was formerly a collegiate church, and has been famous since the time when St. Cuthbert's bones rested here for a hundred and thirteen years before they were carried to Durham. Many fragments of its splendid painted glass windows remain, and the church is large and perfect yet. The most remarkable thing in it is a collection of the effigies of the Lords of Lumley Castle from Saxon times to Elizabeth. There are fourteen altar tombs in a row the whole length of the north aisle; on each of these lies a stone effigy of a Lord of Lumley, and on the wall above each tomb are the names and armorial bearings of him who sleeps below. No other English church can show anything like it. The statue of Liulph, the Saxon progenitor of the Lumley family and Earls of Scarborough, lies at the west end of the church, and his descendants extend to the east end. Three of the effigies are taken from life, a Crusader - Lord Ralph Lumley, and his son Sir John - who fell in France during the wars of the 15th century. These were, by permission, removed from Durham Cathedral by Lord John Lumley, who had all the other figures carved from imagination, and in this singular manner created a visible stone pedigree.

But we started to tell a ghost story - one of the best attested on record - and we have been lured from our intention by Chester-le-Street church. We will begin it at once, therefore, and relate it in the words of Webster, in his work on Witchcraft.

"About the year of our Lord 1632, near unto Chester-in-the-Street, there lived one Walker, a yeoman of good estate and a widower, who had a young woman to his kinswoman, that kept his house, who was by the neighbours suspected of indiscretion, and was, towards the dark of the evening, one night, sent away with one Mark Sharp, who was a collier, or one who digged coals under the ground, and one that had been born in Blakeburn-hundred, in Lancashire, and so she was not heard of for a long time, and no noise or tattle was made about it.

"In the winter time after (her disappearance), one James Grahame, or Grime (for so in that country they call them), being a miller, and living about two miles from the place where Walker lived, was one night alone very late in the mill, grinding corn; and about twelve or one o'clock at night he came down the stairs from having been putting corn in the hopper; the mill doors being shut, there stood a woman upon the midst of the floor, with her hair about her ears, hanging down, and all blood stained, with five large wounds in her head. He, being much affrighted and amazed, began to bless himself, and at last asked her who she was and what she wanted. To which she said, 'I am the spirit of such a woman who lived with Walker. . . . I was one night late sent away with one Mark Sharp who, upon a moor (naming a place that the miller knew), slew me with a pick, such as men dig coals withal, and gave me these five wounds, and after threw my body into a coal-pit hard by, and hid the pick under a bank; and his stockings and shoes being stained with blood, he endeavoured to wash them, but seeing the blood would not forth, he hid them there. And the apparition further told the miller that he must be the man to reveal it, or else she must still appear and haunt him. The miller returned home very sad and heavy, but spoke not one word of what he had seen, but eschewed as much as he could to stay in the mill within night without company, drinking thereby to escape the seeing again of that frightful apparition. But notwithstanding, one night when it began to be dark, the apparition met him again, and seemed very fierce and cruel, and threatened him that if he did not reveal the murder she would continually pursue and haunt him. Yet for all this he concealed it till St. Thomas's eve, before Christmas, when being, soon after sunset, walking in his garden, she appeared again, and then so threatened and affrighted him that he faithfully promised to reveal it next morning. In the morning he went to a magistrate, and made the whole matter known, with all the circumstances, and diligent search being made, the body was found in a coalpit, with the five wounds in the head, and the blood-stained shoes and stockings, in every circumstance as the apparition had related it to the miller. Whereupon Walker and Mark Sharp were both apprehended, but would confess nothing. At the following assizes they were arraigned, found guilty, condemned, and executed."

Webster is not the only person who relates this singular trial. Dr. Henry more mentioned it in his "Volurnen Philosophicum," and communicated it to Dr. Glanvil for his "Sadducisinus Triumphatus," with the additional testimony of a Mr. Sheplierdson and Mr. Lumley, of Lumley, an old gentleman who knew the persons implicated well, and was present at the trial. The name of the girl was Anna Walker, that of the judge, Davenport, who gave sentence the same night that the verdict was delivered, a thing never done before in Durham. Surtees says that the deposition of Grime the miller is deposited in the Bodleian Library, in Tanner's MSS. The matter was well known and much talked of at the time.

The condemned men steadily persisted in declaring their innocence, even at the foot of the gallows, and it was entirely on the evidence of Grime and his ghost that they were executed. Who shall say that they were not innocent? No one seems to have doubted Grime's story of the ghost, or suspected that he may have been cognisant of the murder, or even have had something to do with it, and thus sought a means of securing his own safety.

This is, we believe, almost the only instance of the evidence of a ghost being taken in a court of justice. Webster declares it to be "one of those apparitions and strange incidents which cannot be solved by the supposed principles of matter and motion, but which do evidently require some other causes, above or different from the visible and ordinary course of nature, effects that do strangly exceed the power of natural causes, and may for ever convince all atheistical minds."

If we are to give credence to Grime's story, and to believe that a ghost did haunt him and reveal the secret of Anne Walker's fate, we should be obliged to agree with Webster's opinion. But one would like to read the trial, for the sake of seeing how the twelve "good men and true" were induced to accept so fully the singular story of the miller's apparition.

I'm gonna run like foooook if I ever go back to that area and pass the tree, lol.

Anyone got a ghosty story

was years ago (about 12 now) i was 13/14 and staying in my dads mates and i was in the spare room on the floor sleeping, and my dad was in the single bed.

My mum had passed away a year before this, and i woke up freezing and looked at my dad, and i could see my mums face in the duvet cover..

was very strange.. but as i got closer it just seemed as if it was the way the duvet cover was sitting.. but who knows it was very freaky.

kept that to myself and stil havent told my dad about it.

Weird shit lol

My girlfriends dad did a Ouji board when he was 15years old in his mates shed...He swears blind that the counter moved and all of a sudden all the bulbs in the shed smashed and he sh*t himself and ran home! Sent a bit of a shiver down my spine anyway just listening to it!

its holloween night i was about 7/8 live in brimingham at the time we all went to to bed woke up though night, well i think? heard noises tapping out side. doors and windows,didnt want to move from my bed bricking myself this went on for about a hour maybe more not sure,just a kid i was. any felt cold on my back- pulled covers over my ears with my eyes pecking, started crying. turned over. was going to get up and tell my mom. THEN I SWEAR i see a witch i would put all my money on it. i shouted so loud kicking and all sorts. it seems about 10min before my mom came in the room. sweating,crying i even wet the bed. mom came in said going on? i could not talk. she had to shake me for aj's.
even now when i go to bed i still cove up my head. thing that happen when your a kid.

big-ron

Isn't Chester-le-street up Sunderland way? Strange that because the only ghost story I have is from when I was about 6 or 7 and I was staying in my Grandad's house in Sunderland. I was in a room in the upstairs of the house in bed. I had been lying in bed for a while and when I looked I was sure I seen a young girl kneeling on the floor brushing her long hair. I turned my head away and then hid my face under the blanket until I fell asleep.

That was the only time in my life I can ever recall having seen or halucinated anything. I always think it might have just been because I was a little kid and tired, but then why did it only ever happen once in that old house?

This story happened about a year or two ago near Aughrim Co. Galway
(Ireland), and even though it may sound like something out of the X
Files or from Alfred Hitchcock Presents... its real!

This guy drives from Ballinasloe to Kilreekill and decides not to take
the new A road, as he wants to see the scenery. The inevitable
happens and when he reaches the outskirts his car breaks down
- he's stranded miles from anywhere. Having no choice he starts
walking on the side of the road, hoping to get a lift to the nearest human
habitation. It's dark and raining and pretty soon he's wet and shivering.
The night rolls on and no car goes by, the rains are so strong he can
barely see a few feet ahead of him.

Suddenly in the distance he sees the headlights of a car coming
towards him and it slows and then stops next to him - without thinking the guy
opens the car's door and jumps in. Seated in the back, he leans forward to
thank the person who had saved him when he realises there is nobody behind the wheel!!!

Even though there's no one in the front seat and no sound of any engine, the car
starts moving slowly. The guy looks at the road ahead and sees a curve
coming (remember, this is in the hills and there is a steep, steep
drop beyond the curve). Scared almost to death he starts to pray, begging
the Lord for his life. He hasn't come out of shock, when just before he hits
the curve, a hand appears through the window and moves the wheel!
The car makes the curve safely and continues on the road to the next bend.
The guy, now paralysed in terror, watches how the hand appears every time
they are before a curve and moves the steering wheel just enough to get the car
around each bend.

Finally, the guy sees lights ahead. Gathering his
courage he wrenches open the door of the silent, slowly moving car,
scrambles out and runs as hard and fast as he can towards the lights.
It's a small town. Wet and in shock goes to a roadside bar, which is
open, and asks for a drink. They find some Whisky and give him a shot.
And he starts telling whoever will listen about the horrible experience
he's just been through. A silence envelops everybody when they realise
the guy isn't drunk, and is really frightened - he's crying and shaking.

So they give him more booze and talk about what they should
do, whether to call the police or find a priest, or what.

But just then two strangers walked into the bar. And one says to the
other, "Look, there's that fecking eejit that got in the car when we were pushing it."

This story happened about a year or two ago near Aughrim Co. Galway
(Ireland), and even though it may sound like something out of the X
Files or from Alfred Hitchcock Presents... its real!

This guy drives from Ballinasloe to Kilreekill and decides not to take
the new A road, as he wants to see the scenery. The inevitable
happens and when he reaches the outskirts his car breaks down
- he's stranded miles from anywhere. Having no choice he starts
walking on the side of the road, hoping to get a lift to the nearest human
habitation. It's dark and raining and pretty soon he's wet and shivering.
The night rolls on and no car goes by, the rains are so strong he can
barely see a few feet ahead of him.

Suddenly in the distance he sees the headlights of a car coming
towards him and it slows and then stops next to him - without thinking the guy
opens the car's door and jumps in. Seated in the back, he leans forward to
thank the person who had saved him when he realises there is nobody behind the wheel!!!

Even though there's no one in the front seat and no sound of any engine, the car
starts moving slowly. The guy looks at the road ahead and sees a curve
coming (remember, this is in the hills and there is a steep, steep
drop beyond the curve). Scared almost to death he starts to pray, begging
the Lord for his life. He hasn't come out of shock, when just before he hits
the curve, a hand appears through the window and moves the wheel!
The car makes the curve safely and continues on the road to the next bend.
The guy, now paralysed in terror, watches how the hand appears every time
they are before a curve and moves the steering wheel just enough to get the car
around each bend.

Finally, the guy sees lights ahead. Gathering his
courage he wrenches open the door of the silent, slowly moving car,
scrambles out and runs as hard and fast as he can towards the lights.
It's a small town. Wet and in shock goes to a roadside bar, which is
open, and asks for a drink. They find some Whisky and give him a shot.
And he starts telling whoever will listen about the horrible experience
he's just been through. A silence envelops everybody when they realise
the guy isn't drunk, and is really frightened - he's crying and shaking.

So they give him more booze and talk about what they should
do, whether to call the police or find a priest, or what.

But just then two strangers walked into the bar. And one says to the
other, "Look, there's that fecking eejit that got in the car when we were pushing it."

:roflmao: nice one m8

cracker. i was going to post, that i dont believe a word of that.

that was funny. is it a joke or is it a true story???

Back