getting macs

bhatti00

Inactive User
Reaction score
if i was to use dhcpforce in another area of my town on my m8's pc, would this bring up a local list of macs for my town or would it be just random macs ?

if not how could i find a local mac out of a list that would be scanned ?

pls hlp

bhatti00 said:
if i was to use dhcpforce in another area of my town on my m8's pc, would this bring up a local list of macs for my town or would it be just random macs ?
if not how could i find a local mac out of a list that would be scanned ?
pls hlp

if you are looking for macs to use for yourself then as long as your m8 is no more than 4-6 miles away and on an ntl broadband service then you should be fine.

You can use a mac 1 mile away as long as its a different UBR gateway

yeah but how would i know the macs i have are from 1 or more miles away ?
how do i check locations ????

You check the computer you got it from, its in the tut how to do this, you cant use macs from your own gateway, so any you get from your house wont work.

L33tpL4y4 said:
You check the computer you got it from, its in the tut how to do this, you cant use macs from your own gateway, so any you get from your house wont work.

lol so macs i get from my pc will all be local ? is this correct or is it totally random ?

yes any you get from ur pc are on your gateway m8, cant have 2 macs on the same gateway!

so if i scanned on my mates pc he lives a few miles from me things should be ok yeah ? i'd have a whole list os macs to playwith as they wouldnt be from my gateway.
correct?

bhatti00 said:
so if i scanned on my mates pc he lives a few miles from me things should be ok yeah ? i'd have a whole list os macs to playwith as they wouldnt be from my gateway.
correct?

Yep thats right.

Im sick of posting this can a Mod make this a sticky? Actually is their a dedicated Mod for this forum? Anyways have a read of this as im not gonna post it no more.

viiiper said:
Posted in "macs for swap" thread aswell

This is for all you Clone Modem MAC TRADERS [only takes 5 mins to read]

CABLE MODEM & UBR GATEWAY :eek:

Cloned modems can only work in a different segment of the cable network from the original cable modem

All Cable modems login to the cable network with there unique MAC address. Think of your town/ city as segmented like an orange. We all live in a certain segment and no two MAC addresses are the same. A cloned modem comes online, as long as it is in a different segment of the network from the original, it will work this is because the network primarily checks the cable modems MAC address and does NOT ALLOW 2 identical MAC’s to be online [registered on the network] in the same segment.

So when you are all requesting MAC’s for trade you should actually be asking for MAC’s from a different Cable network segment. You may think this obvious but the network does not necessarily follow the physical layout of your town/ city.

The segments of the cable network [like the orange are separated], in the case of cable the separation is done by ROUTER GATEWAYS, known as UBR’s [Universal Broadband Router].

FINDING YOUR UBR; is easy

The link given goes to the Grc [Gibson Research Corporation] website [a bit like who is]

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 :D <<< CLICK HERE

When you initiate the page it will return your full UBR address

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.cable.ubrxx.shef.blueyonder.co.uk

xxx is replacing actual numbers [you won't see xxx on the result] :)

The information address follows the following format:-

YOUR INTERNET I.P / NETWORK TYPE / UBR SEGMENT / YOUR CITY ACRONYM / PROVIDER DOMAIN NAME

For example if it returned a ‘UBR05’ this means your in segment 05 of your town/city

So for MAC trading purposes you need to trade with anyone outside UBR05, for example UBR01. Areas/ cities are normally segmented into approx 10 segments depending on size

You should supply TOWN/ CITY ACRONYM & UBR SEGMENT

ie SHEF.UBR05

All the Best viiiper

comments welcome

M*dshack search engine key words:- ubr gateway , mac cloning , cable modem cloning.

yup exactly im on ntl and it syas like shef,or osme crap in r host name if u aint a n00b u can work it out ;) im tired if this 2 make it sticky coz it gets on me nerves same questions over and over its boring cant people lick click search?

how do you lick click search m8 lol tell me i want to know.

Back