Gettin Rid Of Norton ?

thomson

Inactive User
Reaction score
How do I totally get rid of norton off my computer, ive removed the program the usual way (add/remove) programs but I see there is still quite a bit of the program remaining here and there, infact there is still an entry in add/remove programs that I cant delete, it doesnt even have a delete option when I highlight it ? the entry is called "norton wmi update", but as i say when i do a system file search it finds loads of stuff for norton and symantec on my system.

I want to do it the correct way rather than the incorrect way as i know that just straight deleting stuff can sometimes screw the system up.

Any help appreciated :Cheers:

thomson said:
How do I totally get rid of norton off my computer, ive removed the program the usual way (add/remove) programs but I see there is still quite a bit of the program remaining here and there, infact there is still an entry in add/remove programs that I cant delete, it doesnt even have a delete option when I highlight it ? the entry is called "norton wmi update", but as i say when i do a system file search it finds loads of stuff for norton and symantec on my system.

I want to do it the correct way rather than the incorrect way as i know that just straight deleting stuff can sometimes screw the system up.

Any help appreciated :Cheers:
l think there a uninstall on the norton site m8

yea as smirnoff says try norton site
had sim probs removin norton, took a while but i got there
try ht#p://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/pfdocs/2005033108162039?Open

smirnoff_rules said:
l think there a uninstall on the norton site m8

ok got the tool working eventually but its left two norton program folders behind, both contain 1 file called "defloc.dat" they are 68bytes in size.

Is it ok to remove these manually into bin ?

edit :>
Ohh ! and its left a symantec folder behind too in program files and it contains a file called "symlcrst.dll" (426 KB)

Last edited:
Id copy them and put them in a folder, then delete them afterwards and restart... if WinXP complains of some issues replace the backups.

btw ive been installing Norton products daily in my job for past 2 years... I dont exactly recommend it.

Use spybot/Adware 6.0 for spyware manual scans weekly and also nod32 virus package and Sysgate firewall.

Oddly im running symantecs antivirus comporate edition which is alot more faster/stable and better then all that norton rubbish... but im purely testing it seems ok, just not as fast/easy as nod32/sysgate combo.

its sorted guys, cheers :Cheers:

problem was the removal tool wasnt working properley cause windows firewall or popup stopper was blocking the program from running properley, its gone now, thanks for all your inputs :Clap:

JAMO13 said:
thanks for that lads i had the same problem:Cheers:
no probs mate :Cheers:

just go's to show that its always good to tell people the outcome of things as it may help hundreds of people in the same position.

:proud:

Back