Get It Right from a Genuine Site

Peerblock is totally useless nowadays. You really need a vpn for torrents.

I did think it was just a front for subscriptions.

I wonder how well the "It was me WIFI been 'acked guv, I's just an honest tatie picker I am" works.

Depending on what torrent client you use you can use a blacklist that does a similar thing as peerblock but for torrents.

Depending on what torrent client you use you can use a blacklist that does a similar thing as peerblock but for torrents.

Always been a fan of uTorrent. I heard some have inbuilt search scrapers now though.

Always been a fan of uTorrent. I heard some have inbuilt search scrapers now though.

I did use utorrent but find transmission better as it is more lightweight + no ads.
all my torrent are found via sickrage or are things such as books where i would like to see feedback such as comments before dl. one thing i found about scraper you usually end up with something you didnt want to download as it was mislabel but been a long time since i used a scraper

Last edited:
Good point @Grimeire - The comments on a particular download.

EDIT

You still find the ones claiming viruses, crack or serial not working etc. After reading a few it's possible to weed out the useless ones. Seeing the original uploader is good too.

Last edited:
is there any good free vpn that somone would recommend please

38 years? I have been using newsgroups for a very very long time but pretty sure you wouldn't of have had access in 1980?

Happy to be proved wrong though

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The Usenet started in 1979 following on from the Arpanet, the usenet went public in 1980 all over the world, you needed a nice speedy 300 baud modem or higher just to get the newsgroups working. The usenet was popular way before the World Wide Web, and long before the easy to use NZB's.

A quick quote from wiki

Usenet (/ˈjuːznɛt/) is a worldwide distributed discussion system available on computers. It was developed from the general-purpose Unix-to-Unix Copy (UUCP) dial-up network architecture. Tom Truscott and Jim Ellis conceived the idea in 1979, and it was established in 1980. Users read and post messages (called articles or posts, and collectively termed news) to one or more categories, known as newsgroups. Usenet resembles a bulletin board system (BBS) in many respects and is the precursor to Internet forums that are widely used today. Discussions are threaded, as with web forums and BBSs, though posts are stored on the server sequentially. The name comes from the term "users network".

One notable difference between a BBS or web forum and Usenet is the absence of a central server and dedicated administrator. Usenet is distributed among a large, constantly changing conglomeration of servers that store and forward messages to one another in so-called news feeds. Individual users may read messages from and post messages to a local server operated by a commercial usenet provider, their Internet service provider, university, employer, or their own server.

Usenet has significant cultural importance in the networked world, having given rise to, or popularized, many widely recognized concepts and terms such as "FAQ", "flame", and "spam".

38 years? I have been using newsgroups for a very very long time but pretty sure you wouldn't of have had access in 1980?

Happy to be proved wrong though

The Usenet started in 1979 following on from the Arpanet, the usenet went public in 1980 all over the world, you needed a nice speedy 300 baud modem or higher just to get the newsgroups working. The usenet was popular way before the World Wide Web, and long before the easy to use NZB's.

A quick quote from wiki

Usenet (/ˈjuːznɛt/) is a worldwide distributed discussion system available on computers. It was developed from the general-purpose Unix-to-Unix Copy (UUCP) dial-up network architecture. Tom Truscott and Jim Ellis conceived the idea in 1979, and it was established in 1980. Users read and post messages (called articles or posts, and collectively termed news) to one or more categories, known as newsgroups. Usenet resembles a bulletin board system (BBS) in many respects and is the precursor to Internet forums that are widely used today. Discussions are threaded, as with web forums and BBSs, though posts are stored on the server sequentially. The name comes from the term "users network".

One notable difference between a BBS or web forum and Usenet is the absence of a central server and dedicated administrator. Usenet is distributed among a large, constantly changing conglomeration of servers that store and forward messages to one another in so-called news feeds. Individual users may read messages from and post messages to a local server operated by a commercial usenet provider, their Internet service provider, university, employer, or their own server.

Usenet has significant cultural importance in the networked world, having given rise to, or popularized, many widely recognized concepts and terms such as "FAQ", "flame", and "spam".
I get that... But have you really been using newsgroups since 1980 and where? What hardware? Software etc?

What articles did you read and or post? Because it was all text articles right?

Not taking the piss but you must have some serious IT pedigree.

For me it around 2001 and was using ntl newsgroups manually searching a.b.movies iirc I download a svcd "how high" with method man and redman which didn't work on my dvd player as it was PAL only.

Pretty sure I used to get mp3s before then but honestly don't remember. It would have been after napster / kazza?

I get that... But have you really been using newsgroups since 1980 and where? What hardware? Software etc?

What articles did you read and or post? Because it was all text articles right?

Not taking the piss but you must have some serious IT pedigree.

For me it around 2001 and was using ntl newsgroups manually searching a.b.movies iirc I download a svcd "how high" with method man and redman which didn't work on my dvd player as it was PAL only.

Pretty sure I used to get mp3s before then but honestly don't remember. It would have been after napster / kazza?

I first started in IT fixing Commodore Pet computers and mainframes.

I used BBS's systems on a Commodore 128 in the 70's.

My first foray into the newsgroups was with a Amstrad PC using s 300 baud dial up modem.

Yes the newsgroups were text only, but did you know they still are text ONLY. The binary files have to be encoded into text, normally a precedure called UUencoding and then when you've downloaded the text messages you then UUdecode them to get the binary files, greatly enhanced when YENC was invented.

Programs like grabit or newsleecher do all the conversion automatically and don't show you the text messages they just show the headers.

I started getting MP3 files from the usenet using a 9600 baud dialup modem using a nynex telephone line. But I used to get programs and music files (before MP3 was born) from BBS's well before the usenet.

Later there was a great program called XDCC which was for getting stuff, but that was early into windows era.

NZB files has made things easier, but there is still around 70% of stuff available on the usenet that has NOT got any NZB file accociated with it. This is because websites that index the newsgroups only index around 5% of the available newsgroups. There is around 120000-130000 actual newsgroups with most indexers doing 1000-3000.

Another great source for music was MIRC (Internet Relay Chat) which also dates well before the world wide web.

Back