George Carlin is dead

mozr

Banned
Reaction score
One of the best comedians on the planet is gone. No heaven, no hell, just worm food.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/mediaNews/idUKN2339172520080623

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs, dirty words and the demise of humanity, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday. He was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart and drug-dependency problems, died at Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT (2 a.m. British time) after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

Known for his edgy, provocative material developed over 50 years, the bald, bearded Carlin achieved status as an anti-Establishment icon in the 1970s with stand-up bits full of drug references and a routine called "Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television." A regulatory battle over a radio broadcast of the routine ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

In the 1978 case, Federal Communications Commission vs. Pacifica Foundation, the top U.S. court ruled that the words cited in Carlin's routine were indecent, and that the government's broadcast regulator could ban them from being aired at times when children might be listening.

The Grammy-winning Carlin remained an active presence on the comedy circuit. Carlin was scheduled to receive the John F. Kennedy Center's prestigious Mark Twain Prize for American Humor in November and his publicist said Carlin performed in Las Vegas this month.

His comedic sensibility revolved around a central theme: humanity is a cursed, doomed species.

"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas," he told Reuters in a 2001 interview.

Carlin told Playboy in 2005 that he looked forward to an afterlife where he could watch the decline of civilization on a "heavenly CNN."

Not a dude for the easily offended, but I loved the guy.

Watch [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o"]the greatest bullshit story ever told[/ame]

Do not watch if you do not like anti-religious comedy.

RIP (rest in pieces) Georgey Boy. This next beer is for you.

a very funny man indeed.

a great loss to comedy

One of the best I have had the pleasure of watching. I'm gonna miss him.

Thats such a shame Carlin is dead. His style of comedy was pretty unique. I loved his 'dont give a shit attitude' towards anyone as long as its funny.

RIP

I loved him aswell, he had a Lenny Bruce/Richard Pryor attitude.

He'll be missed that's for sure.

If anyone doesn't know who he is, he was in the movie 'Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure', he played the old guy that knew how to work the phone box time machine.

RIP.

He was actually raised as a Catholic mate, but as you'll soon find out I don't think he went to chapel much, lol.

Back