george best has died

malcb

Inactive User
Reaction score
just been announced george best died this afternoon. RIP george

_40953682_best2001pa203i.jpg

Football legend George Best has died in hospital at the age of 59.
The ex-Manchester United and Northern Ireland star had multiple organ failure after a lung infection he developed last week led to internal bleeding.

Doctors on Friday had said Best was unlikely to survive the day and all they could do was make him comfortable.

He had been in west London's Cromwell Hospital since being admitted with flu-like symptoms on 1 October, later suffering a kidney infection.

Best, a recovering alcoholic, needed drugs after a 2002 liver transplant that made him susceptible to infection.

The Belfast-born former footballer and television pundit had been prescribed medication to suppress the immune system and prevent his body rejecting the new liver.

Decline of the golden boy

At the time of his hospital admission in October, Best's agent Phil Hughes said his client had been "off the drink" before being admitted to the hospital.

Best is widely regarded as one of the greatest players to have graced the British and world game.

His heyday occurred during the 1960s, and he brought a pop star image to the game for the first time.

But the accompanying champagne and playboy lifestyle degenerated into alcoholism, bankruptcy, a prison sentence for drink-driving and, eventually, his controversial liver transplant.

He helped Manchester United win the First Division title in 1965 and 1967 and the European Cup in 1968. His role in the team's success was recognised by his becoming the European Footballer of the Year in 1968.

Best made 466 appearances for the Old Trafford club, scoring a total of 178 goals.

He also won 37 caps - scoring nine goals - for Northern Ireland.

GEORGE BEST'S HEALTH
March 2000: Severe liver damage diagnosed
February 2001: Treated for pneumonia
April 2001: Anti-alcohol pellets implanted into his stomach
July 2002: Undergoes liver transplant
November 2004: Routine operation to check on liver transplant
October 2005: Treated for kidney infection in intensive care
November 2005: Lung infection sees condition worsen

wish i could have watched him play he wasnt in my era

R.I.P.

Sadly Missed by many many of us MAN U Fans...............

The Worlds Best Football Player and all Round Entertainer By far................

have one in Heaven for me m8.....:Cheers: :Cheers:

from a gooner

RIP george best

your a football legend and will be remembered for that!

Echo the sentiments, the guy was a football god without a doubt.

Never been a real footie fan, but I can remember watching him on tellie (in black & white too..) in the late sixties and being totally gobsmacked at his talent, he left everybody else in the dark.

Rest in peace Georgie

Back