Generating XML lists for Dreambox scanning

IMnobody

Inactive User
Reaction score
There's a lot of satellite lists out there, and, the one size fits all approach leaves a lot to be desired for most users.
I've found two sites, that when used in conjunction, could greatly help in generating the information needed to create, accurate customized XML lists for scanning.
hxxp://www.satbeams.com/index.php

This first site allows you to see the satellites footprint information, and, determine if your located within any satellites range. It's also a good aid for satellite alignment, based around Google maps which also offers a satellite view of your site location. It's a free but, subscription based and so, some features are withheld for subscribers, but, it's still useful to non subscribers as well.

After using this site you can chose and generate a customized XML list from the second site.
hxxp://satellites-xml.eu/
This site's transponder list is very accurate, claiming to be updated daily, or at least as needed. With that information in hand, most users I've spoke with, prefer DSM's image for actually scanning. Reporting, it's the most accurate for scanning. And, there Openscan which can be used with DSM in a telnet session.

Then use which an edit scheme, OpenDMedit or what ever, to tune up your boutiques and you've got a highly customized, and personalized list that finally fits the bill.

Because this is so highly optimized, for a single user site, there's not much point in posting these individualized lists.

Enjoy,
good luck,
&, happy scanning

IMnobody

Subject: Generating Satellite XML lists for Dreambox scanning

There's a lot of satellite lists out there, and, the one size fits all approach leaves a lot to be desired for most users.
I've found two sites, that when used in conjunction, that could greatly help in generating the information needed to create, accurate customized XML lists for scanning.
http://www.satbeams.com/index.php

The first site allows you to see the satellites footprint information, and determine if your located within any satellites range. It's also a good aid for satellite alignment, based around Google maps which also offers a satellite view of your site location. It's a free but, subscription based and so, some features are withheld for subscribers, but, it's still useful to non subscribers as well.

Usage: Once you enter the site, center the map over your location. You'll find a tear drop pointer at the maps "equator", drag and drop it as close to your location as possible, and, start zooming in slowly, correcting the pointer each time. Eventually you'll be close enough to switch from "Maps" to "Satellite" mode, and be able to drop the pointer on your exact location (depending on the sats resolution for your area).
If you subscribe to the site, (which is "Free". Keep an eye on your spam box {if it's turned on}, for the activation message) the information block upper left will display AZ /EL, LNB Tilt, and, Distance to the Sat. When you click on your pointer it will display Lat/Lon info & customer input on Receiver, dish size, etc. And also, with this customer input installed, The EIRP block (upper right) should now more accurately reflect the signal strength. The site welcomes your signal reports for the satellites you use to update their database.

After using the first site you can chose and generate a customized XML list from the second site.
http://satellites-xml.eu/
This site's transponder list is very accurate, claiming to be updated daily, or at least as needed. With that information in hand, most users I've spoke with, prefer DSM's image for actually scanning the transponders. Reporting, it's the most accurate for scanning.
And, there Openscan which can be used with DSM in a telnet session ( a little harder and slower but looks worthy of the effort).

Then use which an edit scheme, OpenDMedit, or, what ever, to tune up your boutiques. So, you've have a highly customized, and personalized list that finally fits the bill.

Because this is now so highly optimized, for a single user site, there's not much point in posting the individualized list results.

Enjoy,
good luck,
&, happy scanning

IMnobody

Last edited:
Have you created your own satellites.xml file and if so could you post it as i am using the one from the captains settings setting which is not exactly accurate.

That would make little sense, since I'm in the U.S.A.. And, yes, Captian's is likely quite outdated.

The XML generator site, and it's output, is the XML file or, Transponder Frequencies lists for each Satellite you've selected to view. It's an automated, rather than the manual process, we've used to generate the list for scanning, in the past. It does not generate the programming list.

With the first site, you can pinpoint your exact Geo position, and, by looking at the satellite footprints it generates, you can determine which Satellites are in your field of view, and strong enough to be viewed from your site.

Using that information on the second site, creates a highly accurate list of currently active transponder frequencies, to be use in "scanning" for active "channels" with your Dreambox. Your scanned output is saved in the Dreambox, and, you then need to pull and edit it, to create boutiques, for your favorites etc. What I'm showing is a way to take several steps of the drudgery, out of the process of setting up, before scanning.

IMnobody

Last edited:
Back