CD & DVD GB DVD-r in europe

bert1

Member ++
Reaction score
Anyone know if a british dvd recorder will work in mainland europe.

Tried it with an old vcr in grec and got pictures ok but no sound. The vcr eas on its last legs tho and connected to a shared aerial......few variables for me to draw a conclusion........These things still cost a fortune out there.....:mad:

I'm pretty sure not, most of Europe uses the Pal system (same as us) but with a different sound carrier (with the notable exception of the French...who are of course just bl@@dy ocard'..who use SECAM..lol):) , hence the problem you encountered with your video.
Unless you buy a unit that specifically copes with multi-standard TV signals, which on a quick look round I can't find... I suppose someone makes one, but no doubt at a premium price. Most of the players in the field seem to be going down the Freeview path, which is unique to us....

Why not just buy a cheap video in your host country? I think also you might find some of the latest DVD/HDD PVR's cheaper in Germany. I know, when I was in Belgium, several of my work colleeges drove over to Germany to buy electrical goods because they where cheaper there...

Have just thought..you don't mean just a DVD+/-RW drive to put in a PC do you??

Hope this helps...Have Fun

thanks lone....no i did mean a dvd recorder not the pc. my missus im sure couldnt be arsed to get the lap top out connect and disconnect to use /take back to work and will only plead ignorance for me to do it..some days leaves it in work to save carrying it...yet its hers paid for wiv own cash...:mad:

i was hoping the shared antenna was the problem but you've saved me an unnecessary purchase. is there an add on bit of kit that solves the problem @ reasonable price ?

cheers
bert

I've never seen a stand alone multi-standard tuner, outside of professional products which=expensive.

Back