Garden Project

I had something similar a few years back....after my missus got a dog and we unfortunately had to give her away it doesn't look anything like it did....which I'm a bit gutted about and pretty much means i have to get it re-turfed, new plants, fountain etc (yes she even managed to destroy that)

The tree has grown quite a bit but I have to keep ontop with some loppers and the Japanese ferns have also c'mon really well (although one died)

Also doesn't help that the neighbors had that big white eyesore attached to the side of the house, then decided they wanted an extension in which their lovely builders just made matters worse.

I had to drill a hole through that Indian stone ball.....feck me...

Attachments

• DSCF0585.JPG
    DSCF0585.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0584.JPG
    DSCF0584.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0583.JPG
    DSCF0583.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0582.JPG
    DSCF0582.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • front.jpg
    front.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0586.JPG
    DSCF0586.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
  • DSCF0588.JPG
    DSCF0588.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • DSCF0578.JPG
    DSCF0578.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Penners great job on the garden, i have a very small garden due to the consertatory but would love a project like yours

I had something similar a few years back....after my missus got a dog and we unfortunately had to give her away it doesn't look anything like it did....which I'm a bit gutted about and pretty much means i have to get it re-turfed, new plants, fountain etc (yes she even managed to destroy that)

The tree has grown quite a bit but I have to keep on top with some loppers and the Japanese ferns have also c'mon really well (although one died)

Also doesn't help that the neighbour’s had that big white eyesore attached to the side of the house, then decided they wanted an extension in which their lovely builders just made matters worse.

I had to drill a hole through that Indian stone ball.....feck me...

That’s fantastic Exos, loving the water feature I bet it wasn't easy drilling the centre out (knowing my luck the ball would have split :) The brick work is fantastic too. I spend most my life stuck in offices. So it’s lovely to finish work and get out in the garden. My next project is a fire pit area which I've started this weekend, unfortunately I've had to move 8 - 10 ton of top soil so I can have a level area for the fire pit and oven etc. I soon realised how unfit I was again lol

P.S Can you remember what turf you purchased ? I love the colour, nice and dark green as I need to returf a old lawn (well I say lawn its moss with 1 or two strands of grass :)

Cheers Penners.

Water feature was a pain, took two of us and at one point I think three lol. What was worse that it wasn't central and didn't realise until afterwards there was a not so noticeable join that spanned the ball, so the ring was offset when you got up really close. I had to get a local ironmonger to make re-inforced cross-hatch style the stand for it so it sat above the pond/pump, the ball weighed an absolute tonne (literally)

I'm the same as you usually stuck in an office. Was really made up with my garden until the destruction......

I think the one I used was "sports", although I could be wrong. It was like some dodgy street deal only he had a trailer and a wallet the size of a small football pitch; "here mate, is that the good grass"

HUGE transformation on yours though. Good Job *thumbs up*

Last edited:
Oh dear, I've come back from holiday for a week to find out my tree has come down in the heavy rain.

IMAG0533.jpg My daughter has tried fixing it with the watering can, but I'm afraid its fire wood now.

Quick question since I had the AstroTurf cut round the tree I think the best option would be to plant another tree in its place. However I'm unsure what to plant as ideally I would like a tree that will grow quick to fill the gap but still look nice and not grow too high. Has anybody any recommendations on what tree to plant? I think the tree that came down was a lavender tree however I'm not 100% certain. Its a shame really as the tree provided much needed shade for the children on hot days. It was only the other week we were sat under the tree having a picnic :-(

I tried to fix the grass and i did tidy up the back before the summer but it's overgrown slightly now, I've also removed the big stone ball as the pump stopped working and it just looked atrocious, also replaced the lights with something smaller.

2012-06-13 12.54.27.jpg

Personally I like Japanese Ferns (light green on the left), but you may be best with a small-medium flowering shrub? The tree on the right flowers with dark pink, but it's heavy and doesn't cover the garden. Will ask the missus what it's called later.

P.S Picture is from about 5 minutes ago and it's p****ng it down at the moment and quite a few pieces of greenery haven't bloomed yet :)

Last edited:
Its looking spot on mate.

I've been looking at trees for 30 minutes now and I still can't decide on a tree lol

Did you plant the tree fully grown, there does not seem to be much of a root structure there. Also I guess you are lucky it didn't fall on your fence.

Did you plant the tree fully grown, there does not seem to be much of a root structure there. Also I guess you are lucky it didn't fall on your fence.

The tree was already there when we've moved in some years ago. During my levelling of this area I removed at least 8 - 10 inch of soil from that side to level out the play area for the kids as previously this had quite a slope. Unfortunately I don’t think that helped the tree 

I must admit though I was surprised at how little the root structure was (I suppose the bonus to that is I'll have little root to dig out. I hope lol). The fence did take a little hit near the gate but I chopped that limb off straight away to release the pressure on it so no damage was done to the fence. Unfortunately I'll have to shift the rest at the weekend.

I've got a spare piece of astro turf left that I could maybe cut and hide the hole but I think you would notice as the rest is nearly all done in one.

My first injury!! It’s a given to be honest every time I do DIY I get the obligatory injury lol this one did sting for a bit though. It certainly delayed my work.

View attachment 64430

Note to self cut your bloody nails next time and you won't accidentally rip the bugger off !!
The picture should be a fingernail not a thumbnail.lol......wear heavy duty gloves

Back