Games lose sound then freeze.

Baaheeduk

Inactive User
Reaction score
In a house with lots of alcohol on the go!!
Hey peeps,

Since last night my PS3 has been playing up. I was playing FIFA10 when the sound went all faint (No commentry) then the game froze. I switched off but got the same problem later on.

I tried Tiger woods 09 to see if it happend again and it did, 2 holes in the game froze.

Now I've read that a good clean and a factory restore seems to solve the issue so am going to try that initially (Before calling Sony).

Question is, I'm going to back up all my saved game data but do I need to do the same for friends? Or are they stored on the PSN?

TIA :Cheers:

Not sure about the saved games, but your Trophies and friends list etc are all stored on PSN mate.

Is your PS3 a fat one?

As i had that happen a few times with mine last year. All was good then would get odd little freezes with fifa and MW2. At first thought the disc might be dirty or just ps3 had crashed. But over a period of 2 weeks started to happen more and more, then came the YLOD!
So i'd back up your game data. Any game date that isn't online play, is stored on your harddrive

This sounds like the same thing that happened to me. Was playing fifa lost commentry & sound then the game froze a couple of times. I turned it off then back on then it wouldn't read any game discs it still played Dvd's but no games. Reformatted it etc and it still wouldn't work so i bit the bullet rang Sony and had to get a refurb one off them for £130.
So be prepared to take a hit in the wallet i'm afraid

Jesus Christ!

I'd rather spend that money on getting drunk! :) If they want money, I'll do without for the meantime.

Don't blame you at all mate, £130 for a refurb one, is a total piss take in my book. I personally would of expected a new one, say a basic ps3 slim for that price. Not a refurb one, which could end up with some problem down the line. As you paid good money for it when it came out and sony should treat customers a bit better, than expecting them to just shed out more money on top of what they have already spent. It's well known that the fat ps3 has problems with overheating and sony have done nothink about it.
I paid £425 for my old ps3 on launch day, it last just over 3 years and then got the YLOD. decided to fix it myself and touch wood it's still working, but it's now only used as media player in the bedroom. I decided to save up and get a new one.
one option you could do, if you have accidental home insurance then in theory if you dropped your ps3 cos you were moving it as you were painting, then you would be covered to have a new one. But would have to pay the first £50. Depends on your insurance tho.

mine was recently acting flakey, hung on medal of honor demo and JC2. re-arranged the cables at the back, improved the air flow a bit - not done it since. seems like the old fatties seem much more prone to slight temp issues.

think i know what your problem m8, its cause you play fifa and cod lol

to keep your ps3 working properly you should get pro evo and bfbc2 lmao

mine was recently acting flakey, hung on medal of honor demo and JC2. re-arranged the cables at the back, improved the air flow a bit - not done it since. seems like the old fatties seem much more prone to slight temp issues.

I think you've got a point there, I've had my pre owned PS3 for just over a year and a half now and at first I'd get a few crashes though I put that down to teething snags as it's not happened since. Though I do still get the odd PS3 crash or system lockup when playing Fifa or Uncharted 2 online in the menus....I don't get it any other time.....but thankfully it's quite the rare occurance for me. Not least of which because most of the time I'm either watching tv shows on it or otherwise not playing a game online lol. ;)

But yeah I guess it does depend on the PS3 and the environment it's in I suppose so everyone's mileage is different....all I know is if my PS3 lasts 3 years from purchase date in this day and age I'll be one very happy man - it's halfway there already and knock on wood I haven't just jinxed it.

Back