fujitsu disc problem

Dolfiemax

Member ++
Reaction score
Can a sata hard disc be piggy banked as a second hard drive on a standard pc or laptop so i can wipe it as cant reload xp on laptop its from.

Why can you not re-install XP on the SATA harddrive in the laptop it was removed from?

If you try and re-install XP on the hardrive plugged into a different PC or laptop, it won't work on the laptop it was removed from, due to the fact that the chipset of the moterboard etc will probably be different on the PC that XP was installed on

The lap top is not recognising the hard drive - saying no hard discs found.This worked before but had a partition on and since removed this.I downloaded a disc utility to detect the drive so after putting windows on with another pc and booting up in the pc accessed the utility and this came back with no disc drive found when i am using it on that pc!! Something is weird about this havent seen anything like it before - help.

Does the bios pick the drive up?

If your desktop PC has SATA ports then you could plug it into that and partition the drive, before putting it back into the laptop.

It would also be a check to see if the drive is knackered or not. If the drive is not seen on the desktop PC I would say that it has died.

Are the jumper settings on the harddrive set correctly?

Yes bios picks it up and recognises the sata drive.Desktop also recognises it and is able to put windows on it and run it fine.Ran a few checks and said something like systems drive parameters should be - sectors - 0 heads - 1 cylinders 2. but mine are sectors 63 heads 255 cylinders 1024.I think in unpartitioning i have done something wrong as i have not done this before.But as far as jumper settings go - are there any on laptop hard discs if so i cant find any. Still buggered!!

Back