Fruitballs Motorised Installation Guide

Re: Fruitballs Motorised Installtion Guide

Fruitballs Motorised Installation Guide
This is only a guide.. Please remember to keep safe working at heights and using power tools. It may look easy to install a dish but remember climbing ladders is one thing, drilling, working and carrying up a dish is a completly different ball game. If you do not feel safe get someone else to do it! This is only a rough guide, i am not responsible for any damage or injurys your may cause or do to yourself. You may require 2 people carrying the dish on the bracket. I used a rope to pull dish up to brackets but let me tell you it is friggin heavy and not for the faint hearted! BE SAFE!
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
Ladders - Make sure you have them at a safe angle and that they wont slip out, tie them down
Hammer drill, drill bits, 10mm,13mm ring spanners, other sizes do help
Spirit level and or incliometer, felt tip to mark drill points
self amalgimating tape, insulation tape, F connectors,
Hammer, clips, screwdrivers, rg6 cable or better
Dish, motor, lnb, brackets, pole ( i used scaffolding pole for my install)
hardhat, eye protection, harness, rope,
satellite meter or your satellite receiver for aligning
Cutters, plyers and other tools,
I used a TM-2600 MOTOR, 1M STEEL ORBITAL DISH, 18INCH T AND K BRACKETS, MUNGO PLUGS AND BOLTS AND WASHERS, 2 FOOT SCAFFOLD POLE I CUT UP, U CLAMPS AND WASHERS, TM1 GOLD LNB, RG6 FOAM FILLED CABLE

1. Mount your T & K'S making sure there level and straight. Use washers when connecting the mungo bolts (or whatever bolts you are using) to ensure a nice even tight fit. Some people mount the T at the top Or some people mount the K at the top I will do either depending on install.
Pic_0511_017.jpg
Pic_0511_018.jpg

Mount pole and make sure it is dead vertical and plumb. This has to be perfect!
Use a angle finder or spirit level 360 degrees around pole
Once happy tighten up uclamps to pole and make sure it is solid and double check it is plumb, if it is even slightly out it will not track arc properly
Pic_0511_020.jpg
Pic_0511_021.jpg

Assemly your dish and set your latitude on your motor. In the manual for your motor should be a conversion table for the readout on the side of the motor. To find out your latitude and longitude go to multimap.com, google maps or at a push a satnav. Set your latitude on the side of the motor and then bolt up tight.
Mount dish to motor pole make sure it is dead centre with the motor. There should be a mark or marking on the motor and on the dish to ensure it is dead on and then bolt up tight.
It is also a good idea to run the cable from the lnb to the motor now so it makes it easier while working on the ground and use some insulation tape to tape cable to lnb arm. Loosly tighten the lnb in the lnb holder so you can adjust you SCEW when aligning the dish. Make sure all connections are good and watertight.
Leave your dish declination for now.
-------------------------------------------------------
mount dish and motor to the pole between T & K Brackets and loosly nip up the bolts from back of motor.
-------------------------------------------------------
Pic_0511_023.jpg
Alighning your dish
----------------------
Now you enter your latitude and longitude and input that information in to your receiver and then drive the motor to 0. or go to 0 and then go to your reference satellite. Mine us thor 0.8w but yours might be slightly different. There is a list on the internet of what your reference satellite should be. Now start searching for your satellite by moving the motor housing left and right and then moving dish declenation up and down till you find your satellite and get a good signal. Once happy bolt it all up. Now adjust your scew on your lnb by moving it slightly left or right and see how it affects the signal on your satellite.
If you have done it all right then go to the most westerly satellite you can receive and then go to the most easterly satellite you can receive and check signal and go through sat by sat and double check your signal. That way you can fine tune your installation and make it track the arc properly.
Pic_0511_025.jpg

You only need to adjust your lnb skew on your reference satellite as your motor will take care of the skew for other satellites.

Pic_0511_027.jpg

Make sure all cables are clipped to the wall and are tidy and waterproofed.
Now go have a beer and enjoy your new setup!

THIS IS ONLY A ROUGH GUIDE TO SHOW YOU HOW TO SET UP A MOTORISED DISH
BE SAFE, READ AND LEARN ASWELL AS THERE IS MANY RESOURCES ON THE INTERNET.
THIS GUIDE MAY BE REPRODUCED BUT MAY NOT BE EDITED!
FRUITBALL

**** Addon ****

Mounting T AND K BRACKETS

Start with first bracket and offer it to the wall
use a spirit level on the top to make sure it is level and mark the holes with a pen.
Get your hammer drill and make a pilot hole with a smaller masonary drill bit where you marked the holes
widen the pilot holes with the correct size masonary drill bit for your choice of bolt
attach collars or mungo plug in,
get bracket from floor and attach the 2/3 bolts to the bracket (depending on if it is a t or the k) making sure you are using washers aswell!
tighten them up with a spanner or socket.
get your spirit level again and then make sure its level and then nip all the bolts up tight.

-------------------------

Now attach a uclamp in the top holes of the bracket and attach your pole but only slightly nip up the uclamp so that it holds the pole without it falling and please remember to use washers with your uclamps
now get your bottom bracket and attach other end of pole to it and mark the bracket up against wall making sure pole, bracket is all in line, plumb and straight.
Pilot holes and widen again for bottom bracket and attach bracket to wall with bolts.

------------------------

Now get your angle finder or spirit level on the pole and go 360 degrees around it making sure it is plumb and fine adjust it in the brackets so it is. Once your happy bolt it all up and you will have one plumb pole. The pole between the two brackets give it strentgh

There are vid on youtube that will help you and show you how to do it.

---------------------------------
Where to point dish??

You want to locate the dish on a south facing wall, use a compass to help you or look for where sky dishes are pointing. If a sky dish is pointing straight then you wanted to be pointing to the right of it from when looking at the back of itto get 0.8w LOOK AT PHOTO

DISH LOCATION.jpgDISH LOCATION.jpg

Another note is to make sure people understand that the scales on the side of dishes and motors i never find acturate. I bolt the motor up to my latitude and leave the dish loose so i can fine tune it.
Then i align to my reference sat and then go far east and then far west. I then flex the dish at the far ends of the east and west point to see if the sig goes up, goes down or stays the say. Then you can adjust your motor longitude and dish declenation accordling... spend the extra time on it as it is worth it

Nice post mate; rep added :)

****addon***** fitting an f-connector***** the basics*****

There are many types of F-CONNECTORS. Screw on, crimp on, ect ect but for this we are going to use my fav screw on and the most popular.

Start with your RG6 Cable or better and an F-CONNECTOR - I am using the ones with the rubber washers inside as there are better built imo

Pic_0512_029.jpg

1. Measure the F connector to the cable and gently cut away the black sheath with a sharp knife ect Be cafeful not to cut the inside of the cable.
Pic_0512_030.jpg
2. Pull the sheath off and you will find strands of wire and foil. Bend back the strands of wire and then fold them back over the black sheath as in photo and leave the foil
Pic_0512_031.jpg
3. Cut of the foil right at the bottom and pull of to reveal the foam filled insulator
Pic_0512_032.jpg
4. Make an cut in the foam being careful not to damage copper inside and pull of as illistrated in the photo
Pic_0512_033.jpg
5. Gently screw the strands around the outside of the cable making sure it does not touch the copper centre or the white insulator. You want to make it as close to the white foam as possible so the F connector has a firm place to sit once screwed down.
Pic_0512_035.jpg
6. Attach F connector and screwing it down clockwise until it will not go down any further, then leave a couple of mm of copper stick out the top and cut of the rest. Make sure any strands below are cut off aswell as to make it neat and tidy. Double check no strands are touching the centre copper wire and your done
Pic_0512_034.jpg
Pic_0512_036.jpg

Regards
Fruitball

Last edited:

Hi can you give me some guidance on what to use for a motorized dish?
thanks

I already have a dish in place with the motor fitted i would like to know what to do next when hooking it up to a skybox f5. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks but i have issues with aligning my box to move the dish.

Back