'Friends' movie within next 18 months?

Paul-K

Inactive User
Reaction score
'Friends' / NBC
A big screen adaptation of US sitcom Friends is reportedly being lined up for release within the next 18 months.

According to the Daily Mail, the spinoff has been inspired by the success of the Sex And The City movie.

Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Matthew Perry, Matt LeBlanc, David Schwimmer and Lisa Kudrow are all apparently keen to reprise their roles in the film.

"The box office success of Sex And The City has really got their wheels spinning about how a Friends film could be just as big, if done right," said a source.

"Timing and the script are really important, but now that Courteney and Jen both have production companies, they can potentially get very involved in those decisions."

The insider added: "What's held back a Friends movie so far is that people worried that Jennifer had simply become to famous to play Rachel again.

"But the truth is that Jennifer is finally willing to do it, and she'd love to work with that whole team of actors and producers again."

Friends aired its final episode on NBC in 2004.

By Alex Fletcher, Entertainment Reporter

lol, too famous to play Rachel.

I sincerely hope this film never sees the light of day.

the series ended in a great way, a movie wouldnt do it justice

There are no plans for a rumoured big screen version of Friends, film studio Warner Bros has told the BBC.
Since the success of the Sex and the City movie, there has been constant speculation that the US sitcom's six stars had agreed to their own film.
One UK press report even suggested that the first scenes would be shot within the next 18 months.
However, Warner Bros' director of publicity in the UK, Jayne Trotman, said there was "no truth in the story".
Ever since the quipping sextet - Jennifer Aniston, Courtney Cox Arquette, Lisa Kudrow, David Schwimmer, Matthew Perry and Matt LeBlanc - parted ways four years ago there have been rumours of a reunion.
'Right circumstances'
Earlier this week, an unnamed source was quoted as saying: "Jennifer, Courtney and the rest of cast are keen to reprise their roles, under the right circumstances.
"The success of Sex And The City has really got their wheels spinning about how a Friends film could be just as big, if done right."
But Cox Arquette's publicist, John Fogelman, told the BBC he did not know of any plans for a film.
Matthew Perry's spokesperson, Lisa Kasteler, added: "Nothing is happening in this regard, so the rumour is false."
The final episode of Friends drew a US audience of 52.5m, while 8.6m viewers watched it in the UK. The movie version of Sex and the City took $55.7m (£28.3m) in its opening weekend at the US box office - a record for an R-rated comedy.

BBC news

btw...I liked Friends and would like to see a film made.

im hopping FOR THE LOVE OF GOD that this is a wind up. There is no way im taking the wife to see that at the cinema

there have been various rumors about this since the series ended.

I would imagine that once it becomes impossible to rerun the series any more on E4 (seriously, how much more can we take?) and the royalties dwindle, then possibly people will take a harder look at this.

Personally, I really hope that this tripe isnt made into a movie.

Of all the soaps on the telly, its the one i don't mind watching its defiantly sugary but its entertainment with a smile, unlike the desperately doom laden and grim English soaps that my Mrs has fortunately stopped watching.

great comedy, can watch episodes again and again and they still seem to make you laugh. Cant wait if there's a movie in the pipeline...

I watch Friends on my DVD quite often. My family members like quoting the lines and we always laugh about it.
I guess it could be interesting to see full movie instead of just 22 minutes but I'm worried what would come out of it.
I've seen an interview with Jennifer Aniston on The Ellen Degeneres Show, Jennifer said she's interested in making another episode but she was against movie. Her worry was the same as mine - what would it be about?
Maybe Friend's main actors and writers will create something to make fans happy :)

Last edited:
Of all the soaps on the telly, its the one i don't mind watching its defiantly sugary but its entertainment with a smile, unlike the desperately doom laden and grim English soaps that my Mrs has fortunately stopped watching.

It's hardly what I'd call a 'soap'.

The episodes are intermittently related to each other now and again but the general theme is a simple sitcom, generally each episode is it's own little skit with very little relation to the preceding one.

It's hardly what I'd call a 'soap'.

The episodes are intermittently related to each other now and again but the general theme is a simple sitcom, generally each episode is it's own little skit with very little relation to the preceding one.

I wouldn't call it a "soap" either but i have another 4 letter word starting with S that i would call it.

Back