Friend Of River Death Boy: 'I Lost My Grip'

fireblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
The friend of a boy who drowned trying to rescue a girl from a river has spoken of his desperate attempt to try to save the young "hero".

Declan Shanley, 13, thought nothing of putting his own life in danger when he leapt into the River Kelvin in Summerston, Glasgow after a girl fell into the water.

Pal Andrew Bowers, 13, also jumped into the fast-flowing river to help in the rescue attempt.

He saw Declan getting into difficulty and tried to rescue him but lost his grip.

"Caitlin fell into the water first and then Declan jumped in to save her," the schoolboy told the Scottish Sun.

"Declan started to get into bother and I jumped in to try to save him.

"I managed to get a hold of him and lifted him up but somehow his hand just slipped away. I don't know what happened, I just lost my grip."

Declan, who was just days away from celebrating his birthday, was swept away by the river's current.

He was pulled from the water after a two-hour search.

Andrew's mother, Sharon, told the newspaper that Declan was a "brave boy" and a "hero".

The boys was among a group of youngsters playing on a sandy area known as "the beach" near the Science Centre on Friday evening.

Andrew and Caitlin managed to pull themselves out of the river.

Tributes have been laid at the waterside spot where Declan, a pupil at John Paul Academy in Glasgow, was swept away.

Headteacher Vincent Docherty said: "I know everyone at the school will be shocked and saddened by this tragic news.

"Declan was a lovely boy, popular and full of life, who will be very sadly missed by all who knew him.

"Our thoughts and prayers are obviously very much with his family and friends at this time and we shall be supporting them in any way we can."

Declan's family wrote on the internet tribute site Gone Too Soon that he would be sadly missed "but in our hearts forever".

BBC Focus Magazine | science, technology and the future

Boy Who Drowned In Glasgow River, Declan Shanley, Is Described As A 'Hero' After trying To Save Girl | UK News | Sky News

:Jester:

my thoughts go out to the friends and family

A used to play down by the Kelvin when a was a nipper at Dawsholm Park.
The wee guy was a hero and a can't imagine what his family are going through.

RIP Declan and my condolences to his family and friends.

Too many people loose there lives in water when summer arrives, more education is needed into the dangers of fast flowing water and under currents, there could have been 3 lost lives instead of 1.

Back