Freeview's future....

Why would you change from using freeview?

• Freeview is enough for me, I wouldn't consider changing

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • I'd only change if cable was installed in my area

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I'd change if Freesat has High Definition channels & more choice free

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • I'd upgrade to sky if my income was boosted, or sky slashed subscription prices

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Other.... > please explain?

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters

pinkhelmets

Inactive User
Reaction score
Do you have freeview equipment? More importantly do you just use freeview as your main source for digital TV?

It is estimated more than 14 million homes have freeview reception, while only around 9.6 million use it as their main source for digital tv. Mainly these numbers are limited due to only 73% of the uk having 'possible' reception of freeview, but terrestrial does remain number 1 for tv.

Ok, there's a fairly decent choice of channels, with a fairly decent low cost upgrade for subscription channels, but terrestrial is always going to have limits. Eg. High Definition isnt going to happen for many years, even if it does in certain selected areas the limit will be just 4 channels, and channel choice overall just isnt going to grow much more than it is now.

What would be the most likely reason for you to change from the freeview service?
For those that use freeview as well as another service like cable/satellite, what would make you use the freeview service less?

I don't use Freeview as a main Digital TV source but I do find it handy when say ITV have 2 live champions league games on at the same time I'll have one game on the projector n the other on the TV at the other end of the room. I'd have a bank of screens with ever game being broadcast if I could just for fcuk sake!

Before the advent of Sly you could watch BBC1,2,ITV Channel4 & Channel 5 all at the same time if u had enough Tv's and paid one fee The good ol TV license that I know so many hate. Since Sly the costs involved to watch more than one channel at the same is outrageous.

The cost of a freeview box is by far the cheapest way to have an option to watch or record a second channel even if the channel list is limited.

I would drop the freeview option if the cost of a second cable or sat box and the need for a second subcription to channels that I'd already paid for wasn't so expensive making me feel I'm being used as a cash cow.

I want the HD stuff and will prob try the freesat route but I'll keep a freeview box around for a while yet.

Yes, I use Freeview and it's all I've got - apart from 4 analogue channels.

I have no plans to get anything else at the moment: there is already more than I can watch and we find it hard to keep on top of our recorded stuff.

There are programmes shown on other platforms that I am sad not to get but there are ways around that:)

I voted other because maybe sometime I may consider Freesat but not just yet.

I'm tempted by the HD of freesat, but the only program I'd probably watch is Torchwood - I've had a quick look at the ITV HD minisite but they don't say what programs will be HD.

But I live in the North West so should be getting HD freeview next year. just waiting to see what freeview channels there are... (other than BBC HD)

I have cable subscription in one side of the house and freeview in the other side. Extra cost of cable subscription over freeview is becomming less and less attractive - i.e. what extra do I really get for my money?

TBH, if it wasn't for the commentary on MotoGP on Eurosport, I think I would've stopped it by now.

There is nothing significant on BBC HD to make it a "proper" channel, at the minute Currently, there is only Heroes (good god, I typed that too quick a minute ago and typed "Herpes" :eek: ) I understand that the HD channels on Freesat won't be "proper" channels, but will be interactive services.

My point is, how long would you have to wait to finally get HD programming (not just a showcase)? I certainly wouldn't be an early adopter...

Thanks for the answers so far ppl. Its good to get a rough idea of who would and would not update. I believe in a couple of years the same poll will see a very much larger amount of people considering, or leaving, or left freeview.
I hope more people vote over time to get some clearer percentages of how it stands now. :)
Regards.

Well the main TV is from VM i cant even get Freeview even with a big ass aerial that a lot of people on here say is the best kind of given up on it all together, did have freesky at one time until the sky+ box died

Freesat

With the limited capacity Freeview has, I'm looking at getting Freesat (BBC/ITV one), as I already have freeview and Freesat From Sky. So i just need to unplug my Sky box and plug a Freesat one in. Just waiting for the PVR version first.

Rob.

Back