Freesat VU+ LNB Setup

Paulmark

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have just bought a freesat reciever, as terrestrial mast has caught fire and is out of action. I have a lm motorised dish l am using on my vuduo 2 reciever. When l have installed the freesat reciever it says not seeing the freesat transponder. All it is getting is sky news. I have a 4way lnb on the dish, is this the issue?
Many Thanks in advance.

Power surge or Lightning strike maybe at a guess 🤔
It is a bit of a mystery, the word is they think it was a lightening strike, but it is under investigation. It has affected millions of households in the north east, and no idea when this will be sorted out, hence the new freesat box. But that is not working now either which is a bit frustrating. I have contacted their people for some advice it seems the box will not connect to freesat transponder. It has all the sky free yo air channels, but no freesat channels.

I'm intrigued, how does a TV aerial catch fire?
Sorry my mistake misread, mast not aerial on roof. I was up at 4:30am ½ asleep after listening the wife drag the paint off the walls snoring.

Funny next door didn't knock and we're detached

Sorry my mistake misread, mast not aerial on roof. I was up at 4:30am ½ asleep after listening the wife drag the paint off the walls snoring.

Funny next door didn't knock and we're detached
Got this sorted, you would think plug and play, well for some it might be. If you have a motorised dish and a number of receivers, not so simple. The lnb l am using is a four port unit, as in the past l wanted to explore using a number of different receivers, and a box with two built in receevers. My vu+ box would only work off one of the the four ports, l discovered that l had to take another cable from the port next to that to the freeview reciever, and all is now working. Not sure how these multi port lnb's work. This one had some unusual markings on the ports, indicating that the ports were not all the same.

Until the software is designed to make boxes talk to each and tell each other where they both sent the motor last time, it is not the best choice to put a multi port LNB on a motorised dish and connect several receivers to it. Until that time, the best solution is to wire up one receiver to the LNB/motor and correctly configure the tuners. Other boxes can then share the motorised dish over the local network. The crucial thing in this setup is that only one receiver is in charge of where the motor is pointing.

If you still want to connect multiple receivers to the LNBs, best to have two dishes.

Or park the dish at one fixed position and tell the other receivers that it is a fixed dish. This is because they don't control the motor.

All the ports on multi-port universal LNB are the same. If there are markings on it to indicate otherwise, it is not a universal LNB. Attach a picture of these markings if you want anyone else to give a second opinion.

Freeview receivers have nothing to do with satellite dishes and LNBs.

If you want a solution that will work, do the following:

Take a close up picture of your LNB with markings that you said ports were different.
Draw a picture of where the signal wires go to all the receivers and attach it so we can see it.
Describe all the satellite receivers, name, number of tuner cards, also total number of tuners. What type of tuners etc.

If you provide the above, we can assist you. If you do not, good luck!

Also, why have you bought a Freesat receiver instead of using an Enigma2 receiver to receive the Freesat and FTA 28.2 satellite services? Is this an option or must you use a Fresat branded one?

If you want a solution that will work, do the following:

Take a close up picture of your LNB with markings that you said ports were different.
Draw a picture of where the signal wires go to all the receivers and attach it so we can see it.
Describe all the satellite receivers, name, number of tuner cards, also total number of tuners. What type of tuners etc.

If you provide the above, we can assist you. If you do not, good luck!

Also, why have you bought a Freesat receiver instead of using an Enigma2 receiver to receive the Freesat and FTA 28.2 satellite services? Is this an option or must you use a Fresat branded one?
Hi Abu,
Here is a photo of the lnb and markings.

Attachments

• 20210817_153117.jpg
    20210817_153117.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
So you have a Quattro LNB

Basically
Vertical/Lowband
Vertical/Highband
Horizontal/Lowband
Horizotal/Highband

This LNB should be feeding a switch which then goes on to your receivers. Sky q lnb basically. You need a hybrid LNB if you still need Sky Q a 6 way 4 connection for Sky q 2 for normal sat receivers or a Universal LNB if you dont to do what your trying to do.

Last edited:
Inverto black premium quattro

This high-end LNB was specially selected from our production line and sets new standards of quality and reliability. It enables the reception of signals from one satellite and its distribution via a Multi-Switch to numerous Set Top Boxes. It is ready for High Definition transmissions and provides excellent Noise Figure performance. Designed to meet strict specifications and manufactured to the highest industry quality standards, this LNB is an ideal solution for satellite broadcast reception across Europe.

Q:
What is the difference between a Quad and Quattro LNB?

A:
A quad or quad switch LNB is an LNB where the multi switch is integrated into the LNB and gives 4 independent output ports for the connection of 4 receivers. A Quattro LNB has 4 outputs and each of the output’s is set to one of the differing polarities, the 4 outputs are V/L, V/H, H/L & H/H. A Quattro LNB is normally used to feed a multiswitch which then allows the distribution of the signal to any number of satellite receivers. All four outputs of a Quattro LNB are marked accordingly with V/L, V/H, H/L & H/H to avoid confusion and malfunctions when connecting to the multiswitch.

So you have a Quattro LNB

Basically
Vertical/Lowband
Vertical/Highband
Horizontal/Lowband
Horizotal/Highband

This LNB should be feeding a switch which then goes on to your receivers. Sky q lnb basically. You need a hybrid LNB if you still need Sky Q a 6 way 4 connection for Sky q 2 for normal sat receivers or a Universal LNB if you dont to do what your trying to do.
Thanks Ferret,
I have just read up on the quattro lnb. Not much the wiser to be honest. All l know is my spider box and the vu box work ok through a splitter on the last lnb port and the freesat box works on the port next to that, nothing will work on the other two ports. It was mentioned that we can get freesat on the vu box, a blind scan doesnt during that in, l have tried putting in the transponder frequency as a single search but it shows nothing.

Your boxes may work but i suspect they will be getting either vertical or horizontal channels not both maybe the splitter.

Abu knows far more than me on these LNB's. Ive never used one or a sky q box.

Wait to see what he says, there may be a way.

Last edited:
HI Ferret,
I was wondering about that, I am am on 28e at the moment and looking at the channel list and frequencies l have both both v and h frequencies in the list.

that LNBs outputs are for feeding into a multiswitch, which combines those 4 'bands' of channels, from each output, to allow numerous receivers to connect to a single dish, normally used in blocks of flats, etc

whatever port youre connected to, will only supply 25% of the available band to the connected receiver

you need to replace that LNB with a 'universal quad' LNB

that LNBs outputs are for feeding into a multiswitch, which combines those 4 'bands' of channels, from each output, to allow numerous receivers to connect to a single dish, normally used in blocks of flats, etc

whatever port youre connected to, will only supply 25% of the available band to the connected receiver

you need to replace that LNB with a 'universal quad' LNB
Thanks,
I think l am missing some channels so l will get that sorted.

Back