Freesat to complement non-HD cableboxes

hobdell

Inactive User
Reaction score
I really don't want to fork out for a DM 800HD or similar just for the few HD channels that are currently available. For an extra £100 quid or so I think a viable alternative would be to get the new freesat service where you get the free HD services (BBC HD, ITV HD etc) without subscription but a one-off box cost and installation.

I know that in the future most channels will go HD but I can't justify the £400+ for a couple of channels right now so I'm going to go for the Freesat option for the hi-def content and my DM500C for the rest.

Anyone else thought of this or have an alternative solution?

Yeah I am thinking along similar lines myself. I've seen different amounts quoted for box and installation though. This charge will doubtless soon come down and HD will increase so I will leave it for a few months, probably till the new football season starts in August.

been looking at freesat HD myself

the ones I was looking at dont come with a dish,is that correct

Im liking the Humax box :)
http://www.humaxdigital.com/freesat/default.asp

That's right Rat,but most stores that sell the boxes are offering a dish installation service for around £80.
Been looking at the Humax box myself today,i'm pretty sure i'll get one within a week...

:) £80 aint that bad if it includes dish cableing etc
seriously thinking about this :)

:) £80 aint that bad if it includes dish cableing etc
seriously thinking about this :)

As i'm reading it..it does.
see what you think?

h**p://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8890030/Trail/searchtext%3EFREESAT.htm

yeah me too Bob
how else could they offer a fitting service if they dont supply the dish

Im thinking of holding off for a few months and waiting for the Humax PVR :)

EDIT: it does say dish included ;)

found this bob

Installation
Standard installation costs £80 for a dish with a single-output LNB, though other options will be available at different retailers:
Argos will only offer the standard installation in-store.
Comet, Currys and John Lewis will offer a menu of options for PVR (or PVR-ready) systems, or multi-room installations.

Last edited:
Hi Guys - I s the new freesat hd. Are their option to add setanta do you knpw????

B*gger,all local supplies of humax boxes have sold out ...again.
I'll have to travel or wait...

they do the humax at argos, £150 plus the £80 dish and install fee

so that's £230 for something i think my v+ box should have anyway.

it is still tempting just for the HD choice. does anyone know if a sky dish can be used for this?
I have a redundant one stuck to my wall doing nothing right now.

they do the humax at argos, £150 plus the £80 dish and install fee

so that's £230 for something i think my v+ box should have anyway.

it is still tempting just for the HD choice. does anyone know if a sky dish can be used for this?
I have a redundant one stuck to my wall doing nothing right now.

yes, it uses a standard sky dish..
just bought a Humax(finally found one),and was asked if i had my own sky dish.
As i hadn't i booked an install while i was there (comet) £79.95...dish included..
That's after going to Currys who wanted £80 if i had my own dish, £99 if i haven't.
No one could explain why i should pay £80 for an install if i already had a dish up?
The other customers who i held up for 20 mins couldn't work it out either...

edit: currys wouldn't let me buy the box on its own,even if i had my own dish up.
I would have to still pay the £80, i think somethings wrong or they don't understand what they're selling yet...

Last edited:
Back