FREESAT receiver

applelover

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hiya, do I really need a Freesat receiver to watch FTA Freesat channels or can I have any receiver? I thought that when it's FTA it can be watched on any satellite receiver, right? But Freesat has told me that I can their receiver.

And has anyone tried setting it up outside the UK? Is there a way to watch UK channels if I get myself a Freesat receiver?

You can use any receiver. However, make sure you can receive signal. Some transponders are on the UK spot beams.

Sent from my HTC One M9PLUS using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

get yourself a cheap Star S Reciever to get freesat channels. I might have one for sale, probably sell it for under 30 quid with delivery can have it all setup for freesat aswell

Thanks, but are you really sure? I just read about it on the Internet and it says: You'll also need a Freesat set-top box (What is Freesat? - Which?)
As long as you can receive the UK spot beam then any Free-to-air receiver will "work". But a Freesat box will self-update any time the frequencies change, a FTA box will need to be done manually. And old Sky Digibox will do the same job too, even without a viewing card.
Any reason you don't want a Freesat box? They're cheap enough, especially second-hand.

I have a bricked Skybox f3 if you are interested
lol

You can get a cheap freesat box for less than £20 on ebay!
I bought a Zgemma and instantly regretted it when it damaged my tv so watch who and what you buy - so many dodgy electronics and even worse sellers out there!

I dunno i am thinking about just getting a tv with Freesat built in so i guess that could be an option for you!
Although I have been advised that the VU+ boxes are pretty good so considering that too!
You have checked your tv doesnt have a satellite f-connector on the back havent you?

Back