Freesat abroad

Yes. you need stable speed minimum 2 meg - though better 4 meg and upwards.

I live in NZ and I have access via my linux box to the bbciplayer and itvplayer, I have been testing for a couple of weeks and although I only use in short doses it seem to work well. I also use 1channel every day for movies and docs and it works great. I have a 16mb connection though.

Lucky you I'm in France on 1/2 Mb SSssssssssssstuttttterrrr is the word :)

Lucky you I'm in France on 1/2 Mb SSssssssssssstuttttterrrr is the word :)

get a better connection then... if you cant get it through adsl/fibre then astra2connect or twoway satellite broadband is reasonable,regards mdt

Thanks mdt when you send the cheque over I'll get it installed :) , sorry mate was not being nasty I'm retired with just a state pension so no chance of doing that, they keep saying it's coming (2Mb) but it is France LOL

Hi chemestri
I would have thought living in france, freesat is available via sat with a 1m - 1.2m dish

I have no problem with UK channels my problem if you read my post is with "iplayer" as my internet connection is only half a meg, mdt kindly suggested astra2connect or twoway satellite but that would be an extra cost that I cannot afford

Don't be sorry mate........... we all make mistakes .............. and I'm still stuck with half a meg........... :(

Don't these services have data download limits? I'd imagine streaming would gobble the gig's in no time.

get a better connection then... if you cant get it through adsl/fibre then astra2connect or twoway satellite broadband is reasonable,regards mdt

My connection is only 3.4Mb/s at best but I overcome the "buffering" problem by NOT watching while streaming. Instead, I use Get iPlayer Automator to download what I want (usually overnight) and play it back later. Also, I first copy the file onto a USB memory stick before playing, because the one-off copying process causes less wear on the Hard Drive than actually playing the programme direct from the HDD.

For streaming over web I can strongly recommend tvheadend, ive got a quad pcie dvb-s tuner and a i7 box with tvheadend on a fiber internet line, then i can request on demand transcoding of the channels I watch from it, so it even works on 3g phones :)

Back